Supply of Parts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Supply of Parts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jackie Burbidge
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 121.222.8.74
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone please tell me where to buy reasonably priced parts in Australia for my 1982 Spur. Things such as oil filters , brake pads and suspension bushes.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Stefan Morley
Experienced User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jackie,

http://www.flyingspares.com/ ceratianly takes the pain out of it in most cases and they are very helpful. Shipping hurts but in comparrison to local costs, relatively painless.

Some parts that fit generically to cars, like Bosch tend to fit on a number of cars. Like I found out a Throttle Position switch also fits on AUDIs and SAABs. Opens up the sourcing options.

These forum guys cetainly know a few sources though and I'm sure for the benefit of all of us they will let us know their tricks.

Stefan

Eugene Oleinik
New User
Username: eugenerus

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jackie,
In case of ordering from Europe, may I also suggest http://www.everythingrollsroyce.com (Paul reads this forum too) and also folks from Montague (http://www.bentleyparts.com). Both offer very competitive prices.

Although I am not local, there seems to be quite a few workshops in Australia so you might try that too (e.g. http://www.rachapmanautomotive.com.au). I would hate to wait for months for my parts to arrive so it would sometimes make sense to pay a bit more and get it in a few days.

If you decide to go for the substitues, here's a list (not verified by me personally):
http://mutley.hypermart.net/RollsSubstituteParts.html

(Message edited by eugenerus on 04 September 2009)

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The RROCA has just issued the first edition of its 'Glove Box Service Directory'. You can find it on the RROCA website at the bottom of the Membership page. There's not a lot in it yet but it can only get better.

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2009 - 18:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent links. Thanks everyone.

It would be great if our Aussie suppliers could give prices on spare parts on their websites. They could then compete with overseas retailers.

Early this century I built a 3000 part online shopping cart for a retailer of a particular brand of motor parts that sell at good margins.

Market share was taken from Aussie competitors and more overseas orders received. The cart still serves well with loyal and new buyers as it is current and orders processed quickly.

Customers have never minded about the later shipping costs on most motor parts that could only be calculated when packed and cubed/weighed.

Now everyone has a shopping cart - or up to date prices. I've come to expect it when looking for printers to homes.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2009 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just today printed out the service directory and to the people who put this together I'd like to say (a big):

THANK YOU !

As an ex printshop worker I find it beautiful.

My advice to anyone without access to a good colour printer with page programming is to put it on a disk or a thumb drive and go to any instant print shop and get them to do it for you with the cover page(s) laminated.

It'll cost around AU$10 which is nothing compared to the "cost" of the work that must have gone into it.

Once again thank you to whomever did the work.

Jeff

Dave Burbidge
Yet to post message
Username: ovation

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 14:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the great responses. I am looking for the casing for the electric seat solenoids. I am told they are available without buying the whole unit.

Jackie and Dave

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 19:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave, they are available - I should have some used ones, but I'm in the UK.

What's wrong with yours? They are pretty reliable.

Dave Burbidge
New User
Username: ovation

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 11:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, the old cases are brittle and disintegrated .
No problem getting things from the UK the postal system is pretty good.

Regards
Dave

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, 24 September, 2009 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave,

:-) they don't do that over here! I guess it's the heat!

Grab my email off my profile (click on my name)and drop me a line. From what I remember it just comes in at small package weight if you don't need all the drive tubes and cables with it.

Cheers, Paul.