Injector replacement. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Injector replacement. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is my understanding that injectors deteriorate after about 80,000 miles.
Do other owners replace injectors on higher mileage engines, (100,000 miles plus), even if the engine is running OK?
Just wondering if I should plan to replace ours this year. The car’s mileage 115,500.
Regards
Darryl

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 02:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darryl. 2 schools of thought. Some say ultrasonic cleaning and testing of the spray pattern and release pressure. On my Silver Wraith II with Bosch FI , I replaced mine. You have to remove the "dogbone shaped " bracket that sits around the injectors. They may be stubborn to remove and the collars(seals) will be brittle as well so therefore they should be replaced. Twisting and pulling will work.
The injector number is stamped on the side of the nozzle and this way you can source accordingly. I sourced my seals from FS and the injectors from a Bosch parts site. Tighten the lines just enough and check for leaks. Also the Fuel Distributor is critical as well and you can get them on an exchange basis. Makes a huge difference when both sides of the delivery is working correctly.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robert,

I’ve ascertained the Bosch part code.
The fuel distributor was rebuilt 14,000 miles ago.
You say replacing the injectors makes a huge difference. In what way?
The jury is still out as to whether I replace the injectors later this year.
Regards

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Worth a can or two of injector cleaner first with new fuel filter.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The nozzles have to open at a certain pressure and have a uniform pattern. A fuel injector cleaner in your fuel tank may yield results but if you're looking to be thorough like I am pull them and try cleaning but you have no practical way to test them unless you own or have access to a Bosch injector tester. Pull them in the off season and send them out for ultrasonic cleaning and testing. This is where your sweat equity pays off and change the fuel filter(s).

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it ain't broke don't fix it [injectors etc] unless maintenance has not been carried out and car used a show Queen and the fuel has been allowed to get stale etc more common with todays fuel when car not used much.
Injector cleaner etc first, keep it simple.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 17:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the input

Al Abbasi
New User
Username: alabbasi

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 19 July, 2019 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my experience. CIS injectors rarely go bad but they can get gummed up with carbon. Ultrasonic cleaning does not work as well with them as you need pressure to open the pintle but I have had good luck with using a fresh can brake / carb clean with the straw attachment.

I also have the factory bosch CIS injector cleaner but rarely use it because of the above reason.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, 19 July, 2019 - 18:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the update

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: