LHM Leak under car in vicinity of res... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » LHM Leak under car in vicinity of reservoirs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User
Username: free_spirit

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, 11 December, 2018 - 07:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, Re 94 spirit 3
Recently I topped up my LHM reservoirs because I bled my suspension because I’m still not happy with the ride after replacing the rear gas springs quite some time ago.
The problem now, and for no apparent reason there has developed an impressive lhm leak directly under the lhm reservoirs.
However the reservoirs appear to be full.
I don’t think the car leaks whilst driving or standing parked for short periods, but it does leak after being parked overnight or longer.
My question is: do the reservoirs have an overflow tube?
Have I let more air in the system which is forcing the fluid out after driving?
I’d appreciate any input..
Charles

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Tuesday, 11 December, 2018 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are overflows.

But probably under the left hand front door area or below the left hand front door hinge area..

If it's only when the car has been sitting it is probably overfilled.

If the lids are not tight it can leak through there.

When you say say under the reservoirs do you mean immediately under or on the floor under?

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 11 December, 2018 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,
Phew!! What a relief!
Yes under the L/H door hinge floor area.
I guess I’ll leave it run it’s course.
Many, many Thanks.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2018 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Charles, when engine running spheres are charged with LHM from reservoirs via pumps. That is why car should be run for minimum of 4 mins prior to checking levels. When engine stopped, over a period of time spheres discharge LHM back to reservoirs under the influence of the nitrogen pushing from other side of diaphragm in sphere. Is is really hard to actually work out level in reservoirs, horrible system. So,in your case you had overfilled reservoirs, which was fine when engine run and spheres charged. But once they added their amount of fluid back to reservoir(s) they were overfilled. The saving grace is that if it was early Spirit without overflow pipes, the LHM would just have poured out of reservoir tops and down inside of engine/inner wing! And where does a nice HOT exhaust manifold live!!!!

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, 14 December, 2018 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon,
Thank you for putting me in the picture. It all makes sense now. It was difficult to ascertain how much to refill as I didn’t want the level in the reservoirs to drop too much during the bleeding. My only guide was keeping the level full enough to see green rise up into the sight glass.
In any event it’s good to know that I haven’t sprung a new leak that requires a service garage.
Regards
Charles

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: