Mulsanne S 92 Back Suspension Trouble Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Mulsanne S 92 Back Suspension Trouble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro Gomes
New User
Username: portamno

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I own a Mulsanne S 92, which did not run for about 4 years. It was very difficult to find the proper mechanic here in Portugal, but finally found one, and the car is now running! But the back (active supension) is as "stiff as a board". Can anyone help regarding where to find the back supension manual, and where to start looking for trouble?

Also, when cold the car needs to be acelerated wih the foot, otherwise ir" dies". When it's warm it´s fine. I have been reading and reading, it could be the auxiliary air valve, or the cold star injector....Or something else! Can anyone drop a few suggestions?

I am "almost there" after 4 years, but need these things fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

Best Regards

Pedro

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Pedro,
Your rear suspension is 100% the two spheres that are in the boot/trunk.

Change those and the suspension will be as smooth as silk. These two balls make a huge difference and they only have a life of so many cycles/time. They are roughly £50 each.

When you remove them make sure that the system is depressurised. They are very very very tight. People have used butcher tactics to remove them in the past but you can be clever and use a good quality chain wrench with a big cheater bar.
Good luck.

Omar

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Petro
Omar is correct :-) , you can get new spheres from here
http://www.sphere-shop.co.uk/
They ship from France €63 a pair ok
Mike

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can these spheres be re-pressurised?
Or is it just simpler to replace them?

Pedro Gomes
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar:

Thank you so much for your information! But if I may abuse your good will, eventought i am QUITE SURE that those spheres need replacing, I am still concerned that it may not just be the only thing wrong. I have seen the schematics and the back suspension is so complicated,,,,I am ordering the spheres, but is there a simple test to make sure that the other suspension components are working: I mean the sensores the pumps, etc?

Werm regards

Pedro

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 22:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, I have used both the gas springs you suggest, and their Accumulators without any problems. The savings are huge !
Mark

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Pedro,
If the brakes work, there are no hydraulic oil leaks and the suspension feels like the car has concrete springs at the back then there is nothing wrong with the rest of the system and only the spheres are at fault. The fault you have described is classic sphere failure and is very common. Every time - changing the spheres transforms the car from a piece of junk to a proper Bentley/Rolls-Royce.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 968
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I changed both my gas springs and spheres at the end of 2017 and what a change it made to my car.

Richard.

Pedro Gomes
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar:

Thanks again for your input. The brakes work just fine...But you are right, the back suspension feels like "concrete"! I went ahead yesterday and bought the 2 rear spheres. They will arrive Friday. So, it´´s "finger's crossed" for time being!!! THANKS AGAIN!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Pedro,
Three things that you need to make sure you know about before you star the job.
Firstly you cannot substitute any alternative oil, It will have to be LHM or LHM plus. You will need plenty bottles of new oil before you start.
The spheres will be very very very tight.
You must make sure the system is totally depressurised before you attempt to remove the spheres.
Please let us know how you get on.

Oh by the way, just because the old spheres will be tight, that does not mean that you need to tighten the new ones to match what you have removed. These tighten themselves with time. Just a nip and a little tug should be adequate.

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar:

Thank you so much for you latest posting.

Today is Sunday, the spheres have arrived Friday, but my mechanic has not yet started to work on them. In fact, we had dinner last night together, to "celebrate" the fact that the car is running, even though not perfect. Still have the cold start issue and the extremely stiff back suspension. But hopefully, tomorrow the suspension will be fine.

I have sent you the pictures you have asked for.

Warm regards
Pedro

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2018 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear OMAR:

SUCESS! Finally changed the spheres, and the car is as confortable as it gets. You were completely right! THANK YOU!

Please let me know what I can do for you here in Portugal. If anything you need please dont hesitate to contact me.

Warm regards

Pedro

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Pedro,
Welcome to the Forum.
We are all friends here. We all help each other because we are genuine honest people.
Hopefully we will meet you the next time we all get together. Last time we met was in 2017 in the UK....... we had a great time.

Enjoy the Bentley and let us know if we can help you in any way.
Your cold start issue is the next problem we need to work on.
Good luck
Omar

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2018 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar,

Thank you for your kind comments.

You are right. We are ll genuine, nice and honest people!

And now on to the cold start problem which is the LAST serious thing....

Then on details, like the button to open up the gas tank cover does not work, and a windw is not opening....But those ae easy to fix!

Warm regards

Pedro

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: