Sleeping Corniche leaking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Sleeping Corniche leaking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, 28 February, 2018 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So this morning I walked by my 89 corniche in the garage and saw a large puddle of green LHM on the floor. The car hasn't been driven or started since thanksgiving as I am near Chicago.

It appears to be leaking from the steering rack at the spool valve. I've read about the problem with leaking racks on this forum but thought I may have better reliability as mine is a 20,000 series, also, I believe most of the leaks reported have shown up as leaks from the bellows. Is this the typical point of failure necessitating a renewed rack?

Thanks for your help

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Wednesday, 28 February, 2018 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They don't like being left and the leak may improve with use.

It should really be red STD fluid.

Edward Mckinley
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, 01 March, 2018 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Paul, this topic has come up previously, using LHM instead of standard PS fluid. I did so thinking the LHM was a higher quality oil to use.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Thursday, 01 March, 2018 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LHM does like to leak a little more. It has better lubrication qualities.

:-)

Edward Mckinley
Frequent User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

since the rack is original I imagine it to be prudent to exchange the rack or have mine rebuilt. I've ready Richard Treacy's paper on racks and wondering if now the rebuilders are incorporating his findings and performing a proper rebuild? Are some vendors preferred over others?

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, 05 March, 2018 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I rebuild them here in Canada and follow Richard's advice. There are RR specific tools required to do the rebuild properly so I would ask the vendor if they have those tools. You should send yours out for a rebuild rather than buy an exchange rack to ensure you get a Rolls-Royce one and not a Bentley one in return. The pinion torque is stiffer on the Bentley rack. For US owners I would ask Albers, Acme, or Robison if they rebuild racks or if their vendor follows Richard's advice. UK, use Paul Yorke.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Monday, 05 March, 2018 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ed,

A couple of other options for rebuilds in the US are listed in the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation.

Also, Tom Lempicke has made his own special wrench from when he DIY rebuilt his rack and was willing to loan it upon request. Details in the same location. Search for "steering rack".

Brian

Edward Mckinley
Frequent User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, 05 March, 2018 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks for the info, I certainly appreciate it

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: