Brake caliper question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Brake caliper question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, 26 January, 2018 - 06:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again,
Another question Re; our 1990 Mulsanne S chassis 32556.
One off side front brake calliper is slow to release. Is there an easy way to ascertain which of the two callipers is sticking? First car I’ve had with twin callipers.
I thought I might swap leading off side to trailing near side and vice versa to see which wheel was then affected.
Regards
Darryl

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 914
Posted on Friday, 26 January, 2018 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daryl Clean or replace pistons, new gallery seals, and a set of pads.

Richard.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, 26 January, 2018 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darryl,

I would try and push the brake pads back into the callipers, slide a piece of paper between the pad and disc, apply the brakes and try and pull the paper out.

The paper that is hard to remove should be the stuck piston.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Friday, 26 January, 2018 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sz piston are not prone to seizing but the pads are. They should be able to pull them in and out with your fingers.

To find out if one is sticking. Press the brake pedal down release then squeeze the pads back on the rear calliper. Is the disc free now?

Press the brake. Release. Push the front pads back and see if it's free now.

Have you bled the brakes?

If both are tight,look at the hose.

If you press the pedal and then release it does the wheel free out after a few seconds?

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, 26 January, 2018 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes 2nd what Paul said, my pads were solid, totally ceased in the caliper! but pistons were fine.
Mike

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, 27 January, 2018 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
I replaced the brake pads in June last year when I also cleaned all of the dirt etc from inside the calipers. Applied Mintex Cera Tec brake grease to the edges of the pad metal and rods. Pads are free.
Hoses replaced, Goodridge, in 2012 under 10,000 miles ago.
I will check if wheel frees after a few seconds & bleed the brakes - hadn't thought of that.
Good idea with the paper Mark.
Watch this space.

Regards

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Sunday, 28 January, 2018 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daryl,

My suspicion is an internally swollen flexible hose somewhere in the system - the current ones have been on the car for 6 years [sorry my original post said 8] and how many years have they been on the stockists shelf before you purchased them?

This is one problem where a high pressure gauge test unit to screw into the calliper bleed valve would be useful as any back pressure remaining after a brake test activation due to internally swollen hoses would be evident.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Monday, 29 January, 2018 - 03:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David is spot on.
The hoses may look good but inside they may be constricted. I would bet almost every "regular" on this forum has experienced at least one hose playing this trick on them. Don't let an innocent looking hose take you for a wild goose chase.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Tuesday, 30 January, 2018 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I go along with all the above.

However IMO, if still a fault then check to see if the brake lights take a short time delay in going off.
If they do then a look in to the brake pedal linkage points, maybe a sluggish return of the balance lever etc.
could even be a broken feel spring or a spring incorrectly adjusted.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, 24 February, 2018 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A BIG thank you to Paul for suggesting that the brakes may have needed bleeding. Bled the brakes no more sticking pad(s).
An inexpensive repair (for once).
Thanks to everyone for their input.

regards
Darryl

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: