1998 Brooklands R in the USA with run... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 1998 Brooklands R in the USA with running issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Al Abbasi
Yet to post message
Username: alabbasi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2018 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there, my name is Al and I live in Dallas, TX USA. I found this forum a few days ago and determined that it appeared to have the most technical group of owners for my car. I recently bought a 1998 Bentley Brooklands R, bought sight unseen from a salvage auction. The car did not run and was listed to have transmission issues as well as other problems with a repair estimate of $59,000.
It did not cost me a lot of money so I figured that I would take a chance.

After getting it to the shop, I was able to get it running which made the suspension and brakes operate correctly, however the car would die after a couple of minutes. I found that the transmission shifter would not talk to the gearbox when this happens which is why I suspect that the car was reported to have transmission issues and I am focusing all of my attention to the ignition switch which might be the root cause of the running and transmission issue.

Symptoms are as follows:

Once fully charged, the car would run.
On starting, there would be a loud beep before the car would crank
Ignition switch would return to run position.
Transmission would shift in forward and reverse

Problems:

After two minutes or so, car would stop running
When trying to restart, I would not hear the beep and the car would only crank twice

Oddities:

If I cycle the key full counter clockwise, I can get the car to crank in the accessory position
If I crank clockwise to the crank position and hold the key in that position, I hear the beep after a couple of seconds and start the car. Provided that I feather the gas pedal and keep the key in crank, it would run
Transmission would be locked out

I took the switch apart and found broken pieces from the coupler which is probably why the key would start the car when cranking full counter clockwise

I also found a broken wire going to the ring that goes around the lock barrel which I re-soldered
I suspect that my problem pertains to the security system and how it interacts with the ignition switch. I’d like to validate if this is correct. I’m still waiting for a new coupler to arrive from the UK but I took a test run last week and was able to start the car for a few minutes before dying, and again for about 30-40 minutes.

Here are a few links to some videos that I’ve taken to better describe my problem:

https://youtu.be/GfLoDBm0fbE

https://youtu.be/I-G4ry84Mbs

https://youtu.be/4x6EXBjVkp4

I’d like to know if I’m barking up the right tree and would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2018 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the loud beep is your cell phone in the centre console compartment.

The ignition switch is faulty. fix that before you go to the next step.

Al Abbasi
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2018 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, I'm still waiting on the coupler. Worse case scenario I will try to find a 3rd coupler through a US resource.

Best wishes

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2018 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Al, with ref to the repeat codes.
First did you fit a new fuel filter?
From the start of running things seem to get better.

Starting with P0505 this is the idle speed control [ISC] malfunction this could be a tight or sticking throttle valve, getting better with use!

P0243 turbo wastegate regulating valve circuit
"A" malfunction.
Check the TC bypass valve could be stuck lack of use.
Same with code p0247 valve "B"

Code p0135 heated oxygen sensor bank one, circuit malfunction.
check the fuse, wiring and conections if ok do a check on the ECM.
All IMO, a little out of touch with this model car.
I would need to look at the wiring diagram to see if the coupler would effect any of the above but i don't think so!

TIP make sure battery is fully charged before testing.

Al Abbasi
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2018 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, no filter yet. I've tried to not move the car as it would die randomly and it a beast to move. This will all come starting next week as I think i was able to identify the problem (finger crossed)

Quick update. I replaced what i think was the engine management relay and the car ran so I took it for a drive. It seems to be in limp mode. A car buddy familiar with these cars seems to think that it's the gearbox actuatior. I will investigate more. In the meanwhile, here is a video.

https://youtu.be/uVXmeW_vP-s

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: