Zytec Intercooler bleed - how to? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Zytec Intercooler bleed - how to? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Burkhardt
Yet to post message
Username: corelian

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 03 September, 2018 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Gentlemen,
congrats to a very elegant forum, judging on how you treat each other, (very polite), seen this elsewhere entirely different.
I just acquired a "New Bentley" Turbo RL, 08-1996, with VIN 59050. Of course, with the bargain price tag it needed (and needs) attention:
spheres -replaced; air conditioning -checked /recharged; engine and transmission oil and filter replaced; ignition wires replaced; headlamp ecu -got it repaired;
Brake calipers need to be overhauled and brake hoses replaced (waiting on parts).
At the moment one question remains: when I replaced the ignition wires, I had to remove two hoses on the Intercooler of the Zytec engine; engine coolant dripped out, but not much. I did not find any info anywhere, on how the cooling system layout on the Zytec engine is working nor if the intercooler needs to be bled of air somehow.
Does anybody have info on these questions?
Best regards from the country with a few stretches of road with no speed limit (Germany), peter

Patrick Hunziker
Experienced User
Username: pahu

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, 03 September, 2018 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter

Congrats to your new car... Bleeding of the intercooler ist easy, fill the Expansion Tank (the little one). After that open the silver Tap on top of the Intercooler and fill up there (intercooler is lokated higher than expansion tank). Do you own the Workshop Manual - TSD6000? The procedure is described in there... If you ever need to read fault codes, you are welcome to use my OMICHECK (and belive me, you will get there:-)... i'm lokated in Switzerland...

Ah, forgot... There are two coolant circuits, one for the engine and one just for the Intercooler...

Regards

Patrick

Peter Burkhardt
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 04 September, 2018 - 14:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Patrick, thank you very much for the info! As a matter of fact I do own the manual, however my laptop is down due to old and dead batteries.
I did realize that the coolant setup is different from the K-Jetronic engines, however was unaware that there are two different circuits! Unfortunately my car lacked both, service book as well as owners manual; so I do miss some info.
Thank you for the offer with retrieving the fault codes; I will most likely take you word on this and stop by to check out my car. Am sure there are some being stored. I live near Stuttgart, so the distance to travel is not the issue.
What type antifreeze do you use? Mine looks blueish in color, very much like the classic G48 (Glysantin) antifreeze. I believe they did not use the G12-type (pink) antifreeze that Volkswagen introduced in the late eighties, did they?
I will keep you posted as I progress with my work, have a nice day, peter

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Tuesday, 04 September, 2018 - 16:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Peter,
I use the same coolant in both circuits. The intercooler circuit is never under pressure so it is easy to check even when hot. This circuit only has a pump, reservoir, intercooler and hoses .Very simple indeed.

Patrick Hunziker
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 04 September, 2018 - 18:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hallo Peter

I use the antifreeze from Bentley / RR... According to some people there can be issues with the liner-seals if not correct antifreeze is used... i thought better not risk anything... original antifreeze doesn't cost a fortune...
Part Number is UE70936L5....

Patrick Hunziker
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, 05 September, 2018 - 13:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter

I forgot, there is a Relay in the engine bay (under the black cover near the LHM reservoirs) to activate the coolant pump of the intercooler circuit. You nedd to let the pump running to fill up correctly... the procedure is in the TSD 6000 (but i had a hard time to find it and don't remember where)...

Peter Burkhardt
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 07 September, 2018 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all very much for your info and response. I did fill up the intercooler today but was not lucky in locating the Relais. However I disconnected the coupling at the pump and did power it that way. Worked out fine, and I can't wait to check it out on the road. All the best, peter

Patrick Hunziker
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, 13 September, 2018 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter

i Found the manual for filling the intercooler...
Search https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/technical-library/1980-1998 for TSD 5601...
on Page 9 you find the exact location of the Relay and the procedere to fill...

Regards

Patrick

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: