Poor Starting Hot or Cold Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Poor Starting Hot or Cold « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clive Lungmuss
Experienced User
Username: clive_lungmuss

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 03:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have started this thread as from time to time I have read about poor or no starting and difficulty starting when the engine is hot.
For years I was often confronted with this embarressing situation of non start when the engine was warm/hot. Nearly always when there were people near my 1988 Bentley Turbo (fuel injection). I tried a number of things including changing the accumulator (next to the petrol pump), all to no avail. Then one day the Bentley would start first time, run for a few seconds then stop. You could turn off start again same thing it would run for a few seconds then die. Without going into a lot of detail the various air hoses and connections were checked, fuel pump was changed (it was the original), the engine run sensor was checked and also the ECU. I visited Bentley (Birmingham) who were very helpful and after a discussion with their Chief Technician he felt somewhere in the loom there was a bad earth or faulty connection. While I was checking for a poor connection I put a meter on the link from the ECU to the Injection Unit and this stayed live until the ignition was turned on. Eventually I called in an Auto Electrician and he said if he could not locate the bad connection he would run a separate fused connection to the ECU. Using various meters he eventually said he could not locate a fault. Going under the bonnet he pulled apart the large black connector to run a separate feed. The cable/connector has a fairly thick & thin brown cable in/ out and said “I think here is the problem”. The connection was re-soldered put back together, I turned on the ignition and the car ran perfectly. That was over a year ago and in that time I have also had no problem with starting either hot or cold.

In the last month this problem occurred again starting running for a few seconds then stopping. I did get it to fire up but the engine ran with a very bad tickover. I pulled the black connector apart and on reconnecting, the car ran perfectly again. My suspicion was that the electrician only cleaned and re-soldered one end of the connection. On pulling back the black plastic covers my suspicion was confirmed only one end had been re-soldered. I have now soldered the other half and now have a Bentley that starts and runs (till something else happens). I was very surprised to see how the cable connection was in such poor condition and this did have a direct effect on how the car started and ran as the thin brown cable is a feed to the ECU which in turn is the feed to the Injection Unit. Apologies if this is not that clear but hopefully if anyone is having a problem it will guide them to a solution.
Regards, Clive

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 03:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is very interesting,it is not what you would expect to cause this problem.Whwew is this connector located?
Kevin

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

a photo would be just perfect.

Clive Lungmuss
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 05:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello again, Just had a go at uploading an image but no luck. The Black Connector roughly lies between the spring housing and the wiper motor. There are two connectors but only one has brown wires in/out.
If I master getting an image up I will post it in this thread.
Thanks for having a look,
Clive

Clive Lungmuss
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here we go, hopefully you will get the picture, in the best possible sense!!!
All the best, Clive

application/octet-streamBentley
Bentley 21-02-17.doc (124.9 k)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here it is:

Bentley ECU socket

Clive Lungmuss
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 18:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you David, I am doing something wrong as I could not get a picture up onto the thread. I put it into Word as there I could indicate which connector by pointing with an arrow. In a rush to post my thread forgot all about a picture or even a description of where the connector was situated. Lack of practice, new resolution, post more threads.
Regards to all readers, Clive

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all a friend of mine has a 1989 Silver Spirit, he has a fault very similar to Clives Bentley, starts for a few seconds and then stops if you try to give it a bit of throttle it doesn't like it at all, the question is, are these two cars similar that they both have that large black connecter.

Richard.

Clive Lungmuss
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Richard,
The problem with the Bentley (fuel Injection) appeared to be that when the ignition was switched on the fuel injection unit apparently did not get a message from the ECU that fuel was required. Unfortunately I am only a hobbyist so do not understand how the cold start injector was getting fuel to keep starting the engine? It took a long time to find an 'cure' after checking the pump, relays and wiring but it was the fault finding diagrams in the technical section which got me to look at the ECU/Fuel Injection system. Although it took the motor electrician to locate the bad connection in that large black connector. Best of luck, Clive

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
Some great info here
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://rroc.org.au/wiki/images/c/cd/B_Bosch_KE2_Jetronic_Injection_Part_2.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjOtOGUyrXTAhVFbVAKHZ49AFcQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNHt3TmNd5CIHDMHRLRRBE0SzikRKA&sig2=7dBEW293kwozX65JfbTclg
Mike

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 746
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2017 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Clive and Michael thank you for your input very helpful, That is a great link Michael I am sure it will be a source of help for a lot of us in the future,

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: