Purchasing a Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Purchasing a Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Deasy
New User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 11:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To-day I was offered a beautiful 1994 Spirit111 with 129,000 miles a2 owner car,the first was a Scottish Royal for 12 years,the second a RR member fit 10/12 years,it was his every day driver,he is in his late 80'sa retired garage owner/ mechanic who did his own work (has all receipts for parts)it will cost me about 6,000€ with my GOOD 84 Spirit.The yearly road tax on it is 1,800€ and the tax on my car is 56€ ( classic over 30) Insurance is the same THE REAL ISSUE IS I CAN fix the old carb car but I don't know about the fuel injection & ecu & all the electronics on this model,do they give trouble?
ALL REPLIES WOULD HELP.
My car will sell for 12,000. This will cost 18,000 ?
Kevin

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 17:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My stars, Kevin! I'm not up on the road tax rip-off in the UK, but €1,800 (Euros? Not Pounds?) seems highway robbery to me. There are no licence fees in France for private cars. So the licence between now and the 30 year deadline will cost you another £12,600 (or €)! I reckon that barring bad luck, I can maintain Echo for a lot less than that! As to the electronics, they seem pretty reliable on our other cars, but have been the only cause of failure on our Renault - twice in 10 years - at €700 a throw, which seems OK to me. You'll like the extra urge you get with injection and turbo, but might miss the 'old friend' companionship ...

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It has to be a typo. Eighteen Hundred!!!! Please tell me this is not true.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff...
I, too, really feel for those who must pay such a punitive road tax rate. In another thread you noted with incredulity of my impending move to Montana...yes...BRUTAL winters...but the other costs of living are reasonable...and no sales tax! As an illustration, yearly registration fees (everything included) on each of my RR/B vehicles are $46.50. Can't beat that!

Kevin Deasy
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is not an error Road tax is on the engine size.We also have VRT (vehicle registration tax ) of 35% of the cars dealer value when it is imported into Ireland.If the car is over 30 years old the tax is only 200€.
Our Petrol is 1.40€ a litre or 6.30€ a gallon,So I use LPG at 3.10 a gallon.
The guy who is selling this Spirit paid 18,000£ sterling (21,600€) and his VRT was 10,000€ so it ost him 31,600€.as it was valued at dealer price.
In Ireland you don't see many Rolls or Bentleys because of this.Our cars are expensive.I bought a new Mercedes E 200 CDI elegance in 2011 new & it cost 45,000€
I Live in Wicklow Town about 15,000 people and my Spirit is the only Rolls in the town,I drive to Dublin (40miles away) most days and I would not see another one.

Kevin Deasy
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Up-date on Irish motoring costs
We have 3 cars 1) my wife has a Mercedes SLK which I bought new in 2000 this was before we had € in Ireland,that car cost 46,000£ the road tax on it is 700€ the insurance is 600€ a total of 1300€
Car 2) E 200 CDI the road tax I've 390€ ( diesel) insurance 650€ a total of 1040€
Car 3) 1984 spirit over 30 years old the road tax is only 56€ & classic Insurance 200€ a total of 256€
My tax & insurance is a total of 2596€ a year & if I change for the Spirit 111 it will go up by 1,744€ to 4,340€

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Kevin - Ireland of course! Hence the € and not £. I live in France, but there's no import duty on cars, so your horrendous VRT must be an Irish tax. Your insurance is cheap though, Echo costs me €450 a year. The other two (a Toyota and a Renault) cost €300 and €400. All are full comprehensive including breakdown and recovery etc:.No licence to pay, so a total of €1150. I'm sure that Echo was in Ireland for several years (no service record!) as her number when I bought her was WIW 4772 - I think the first 'W' is 'Waterford'.
I've lived in France for 25 years now, admittedly in a rural area near Angouleme, and owned Echo for 7 of them, but I have only ever met one RR on the road in all that time - and that was a 20/25 on the way to a local Rally in Angouleme. If I'm being spoken of, apparently, and the other people don't know me, I am specified as 'the man with the golden Rolls' which usually clears things up!

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 04:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Road tax for my 20/25 HP here in Berne, Switzerland, is Swiss Francs (CHF) 533 = Eur 500 p.a. Road tax is calculated by gross weight. Insurance is CHF 462 = Eur 435 for 3rd party and CHF 3000 for collision and fire. Driving all of the allowed 3000 Km per Annum each Kilometer costs me over Eur 1.10, just for tax and insurance.
As a bonus however I have my everyday car on the same number plates and only pay CHF 298 = Eur 280 for collision and fire, road tax and 3rd party are included with the 20/25 HP. Tax and 3rd party are calculated for the bigger of the two cars.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 07:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So it would be 6000 more to upgrade plus 12000 extra in road tax until it is 30 years old. So you are budgeting around 30k? I would be tempted to buy a 30 year old two door instead.

If money is no object the 94 will probably drive better but will cost a bit more to maintain.

Hmmmmmm decisions decisions:-)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And if you have being doing all your own work but will now need to get somebody to do some, that will up the budget.

On the plus side . . .I'm only a ferry ride away :-)

I may be in Carlow soon. . . .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: