Hard starting when cold Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Hard starting when cold « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, 21 December, 2016 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Bentley Turbo R SCH55635 is slow to start when cold but fine when hot.
A mate of mine had a simmilar problem with his Mercedes 500SL and his repairer replaced the "system accumulator" and this cured the problem.
Both cars have a Bosch system but mine is a Motronic 3.3 according to what I can determine.
I now have a servce CD from Larry Halpert, but can't as yet open it, so am struggling to make progress.any suggestions will be welcome.
While looking over the engine bay I removed the top cover and noticed what appers to be some sort of solenoid with a hose missing on the r/h side . I have arrowed the device in the pic and hope someone can tell me whether this is normal or not.

solenoid

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, 22 December, 2016 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Peter,
There are two temperature sensors fitted to the Zytek system (which I believe your car must be). The fuel temperature sensor and the coolant temperature sensor. These are the two sensors I would be looking at.
Can you send a more general shot of the solenoid above? I am struggling to see where it is on the car. I can then go and look at my car to tell you what mine looks like.
Thanks
Omar

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, 22 December, 2016 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar,
Thank you for responding, I will follow you advice and get those sensors checked.
I have attached a better picture of the engine bay.
Kind regards,
Petersolenoid

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 963
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 06:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Peter,
I looked at my 96 Azure and that was slightly different to your car. I had two of those solenoids on my car but they were a plastic design rather than the steel cased design that you have on your car. One of them had 3 pipes and the other (on the other side of the engine to the one you are showing us in your pictures) had an open port just like yours. This must be a vent.
My car has an intercooler and that is why it is different to yours.

My guess is that your solenoid is probably intended to be as you have shown us and that there is nothing wrong with it.

That takes us back to the two temperature sensors then.

All the best
Omar

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for taking the trouble to compare these components Omar, at least I can be reassured that all is ok there.
According to my owners manual my ECU is a Bosch M 3.3 Motronic system so I will have to remove the cover and check just what system is installed.
Kind regards,
Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: