Rough idle no more Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Rough idle no more « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen a lot of posts regarding rough idle on the forum and many have suspected the fuel injection system. I too experienced this "lumpy" idle and tried to combat it with all the usual tune up tasks as well as running both Techron and BG 44K through the tank, all without the desired result.

In searching for a solution I came across a youtube video from a guy who runs a Mercedes parts company specializing in classic vehicles. He sells a tool which allows you to hook up injectors one at a time, test as well as clean it.

I purchased it, removed all the injectors from my 89 Corniche and witnessed first hand how truly bad they were actually performing. After using the process outlined by him, which is basically forcing mineral spirits and injector cleaner through them I was able to clean all but one injector. I purchased a new injector from Albers as well as 8 new sleeves (rubber injector seals). Using the new injector as a reference it was very interesting to watch as the injectors were cleaned until 7 were performing virtually identical to the new injector.

After re-assembly the car is running very smooth both at idle and under load. Perhaps some of you are already familiar with this tool, but if not here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZRHt-GkHY

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 567
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Edward very interesting video there isn't many cars that would not benefit from this treatment thank you for putting it up.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That was a good find Edward.
Quite interesting.
Now we just need to find one on a quick guide for SU settings.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2016 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Edward
Great info
Cheers
Mike

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Edward I found that video really interesting , there are a lot more about the system on youtube.
I like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fIIUSAPBM
Cheers
Mike
ps I now talk like Vladimir lol

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, There's a good guide to SU settings on the SU Carburettor Company web site.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: