Azure Window Motor Plastic Part Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Azure Window Motor Plastic Part « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 - 15:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
The passenger side window on my 97 Azure has a broken part as can be seen circled in the exploded view below. Does anyone know where I can buy this part from? I think it is the same for the Continental R too.
Thanks
application/pdf
Azure winddow.pdf (265.7 k)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

Sorry, I haven't had to replace one yet so can't help with sourcing one - but if it is the one i'm thinking off - and it comes to making a new one I'm pretty sure that you can get away with just a simple square or round one instead.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 - 18:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar I think that part maybe nylon as it lifts the window in the runner. I'd try Flying Spares. If its not in their catalogue then email them. Another way you might go is to use a 3D printer. Loons here are making fireable handguns here using 3D printers. Yet another way to make one by hand out of a solid billet of brass from a household door lock.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul and Vladimir.
I have temporarily made one out of aluminium but I will have to look for a proper plastic part to ensure silence when the window goes up and down. An Azure with a noisy window will be an unpleasant car. I may look to see what i can pinch from other cars that will be the same. I cant imagine this part to be bespoke.
Thanks
Omar

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar...
I am sure you have already considered the possibility...with appropriate horror!...that since the parts diagram does not list a separate part number for the glider part...yes, probably nylon or teflon for quiet sliding...that you have to purchase the entire lift assembly, in which case you will have a spare lift and an extra glider for future use. We are all familiar with the "you have to buy the whole assembly" game, right? Good luck there!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed Christian.
Even if i have to carve one out of bone, I will not buy the whole assembly from Bentley.
I will rummage around my box of window winder mechanisms to see what I have there.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar if anyone sees a three legged camel limping around Dubai they will know it has made the ultimate sacrifice.

Richard.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Wednesday, 06 July, 2016 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I've gone through the glide replacement on multiple cars now, and I can pretty much assure you that the part is not bespoke.

Any glide, regardless of whether the shape is square [ish, like the original], oblong, or circular will work provided it fits within the guide track correctly and will push on to the metal pin on the arm that holds it such that it's not going to pop off easily.

I've personally far preferred circular glide replacements when I can source them in the necessary size. They tend to be far more substantial just because they're pretty much a solid plastic piece with a hole in the middle. All of the other glide shapes tend to be thinner around where the pin pushes in and also often have holes/cuts designed in that tend to crack at their weak spots over long periods of time.

My last go-round with this was for the passenger side front window on my 1989 Sedan de Ville. The original glide is this long oval shape that has a nasty habit of breaking on the top side of the very thin stretch above where the pin inserts. The round ones never have.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, 06 July, 2016 - 03:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian.
I wonder if the flat sections on this glide act as stabilisers that keep the window in the exact upward and downward trajectories. Given that the car is a convertible, the location needs to be exact. The rear window butts up close to the front one and you cant afford to have any gaps.
when I finish the job I will post a photo to see how close the fit is to original.
Thanks
Omar

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2016 - 02:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar
I'm sure that part is the same as 2007 bmw 5 series and probably same on near models.
Have a look here
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/101-Projects-70-Power-Windows/Pic3-01.jpg
Hope that helps
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 718
Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2016 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mike,
Many thanks for the tip.
I must say - the BMW part does indeed look like my broken component although not exactly.
looks like a trip to the breakers yard is in order.....
Thanks again Mike.

Omar

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2016 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry guys above is posted in the wrong thread maybe David will remove it for me cheers.

Richard.

Your wish is my command - done.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: