Unidentified wire o/s/f wing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Unidentified wire o/s/f wing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Routledge
New User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 - 23:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
As per my last post on the front fog lights, which I have now found the correct wires and they are all connected up.
I have discovered another cable, which goes nowhere and lays behind the front valance.
It is 3 core green red and black, it is a very light cable, a sort of signal cable.
Can anyone recognise it or was there a senser say for the aircon which is now been removed.
I have traced the cable back to under the bonnet and it is plugged into a side loom.
So it isn't a aftermarket fitment.
Thanks for any help.

Roger.

SCAZS0005CCH06265.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 01:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What's at the end?

A plug or a heatshrinked finisher?

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 01:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shot in the dark: Ice warning sender?

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jonas
I was thinking the same or outside temp sensor?
Mike

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ice Warning Sensor...
I have always shaken my head in disbelief that anything could be so useless or instill a sense of false security. Iced road conditions are VERY subjective and dependant upon operator skill, experience, and situational awareness. There are different types of icy conditions and any sensor that (I would imagine) simply relies on an observation of temperature, is utterly useless. Of even more importance from situational awareness is the understanding that bridges and overpasses will often develop icy long before a mere sensing device gets to freezing temperatures and emits a warning. Another complicating influence in terms of the overpasses specifically, and ice in general, is the torque applied to the wheels. If you are climbing a grade or otherwise "have your foot into it" the instant those tires hit the icy spot, they loose traction and spin, which can lead to loss of control and the driver in a ditch shaking their head and defensively noting "but the temperature was still only 35F (or say, 2C) so what happened?"
Relying on an ice sensor to tell you how to drive is a fool's paradise and for manufactures to even install them is misleading and deceptive in terms of the likelihood of creating a falese sense of security.
I'm just saying.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 17:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian,

I think you misunderstand what the ice warning is.

Out of interest how do you work out what the likelihood of ice is?

We drive along in our automatically heat Controlled cocoons with no way of sensing outside conditions whatsoever,

Ice warnings are set to come on at 3 or 4 degrees, not at zero.

I'm perplexed but would love to know how one can tell that the flyover ahead is going to be icy?

Quite often the ice warning will illuminate and extinguish on a stretch of motorway or road which otherwise seems to be exactly the same to us. If you do the same trip often you will find dips and hollows which are the only places it will come on and it will be well ahead of most of the rest of the journey.

Anyway, warning lights are pretty much like that though. Do you rely on your oil pressure switch to tell you your oil is low? Tpms to say when your tyres are low or bald. Other drivers indicators to tell you exactly if and when they will turn?

We have to interpret the road and car conditions at all times, the warnings are just aids.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul...
In a previous life, I owned and operated a "long nose conventional style" Peterbilt tractor and 40' refrigerated trailer...what here is the USofA is referred to as an "18 wheeler"..."lorry" to others...and logged 700,000 miles running the long hauls irrespective of the weather. "Seat of your pants" was the order of the day and falling asleep at the wheel or ending up in a ditch, or worse on your side, would ruin you day and had to be absolutely avoided even though the job required 14 hour days seemingly endlessly...irrespective of what the "hours of service" rules said. You drove until you could not stay awake anymore and then took your sleep break. Got up eight hours later and did it again. I preferred night driving as there were fewer "four wheelers" to muck things up and get in the way. Highway Patrol weight stations less likely to be open as well! Anyway, you had to quickly find out how 80,000# flying down the highway at 70mph handled. First thing I did was to find a large and empty shopping center parking lot in the middle of the night, and when snow covered, slam on brakes, etc, trying to induce jack-knifing at slow speeds to get it set in my brain how it feels in the seat of your pants. Same technique used on open road at 3:00 am. Slow down to 25 mph with no one behind you and slam on your brakes. 80,000# gives a lot of down pressure and if you start to slide, you KNOW it is icy. Oh, and instead of an "ice warning" light, you simply get a "meat thermometer" that all refrigerated truckers had in their shirt pockets and put it thru the window weatherstripping. Monitor outside temperature. When it gets down to 35F, be extra careful. Slush or packed snow was generally no problem. Strong crosswinds when lightly loaded and out on the plains would give you an occasional run of adrenaline. The absolute WORST were the "freezing fog" conditions in Oklahoma and Texas panhandle where 25mph was pushing the safety window. When in doubt, pull to the side of the road and get out. If it was so icy that you could not stand up, THAT was the flashing red light that it was time to find a truckstop and park it. Oh, as to the overpasses, that was easy. You could see them coming. NEVER cross them "pedal to the metal". ALWAYS EXPECT ice. When you hit it, the you could "sense" the rpms of the engine briefly increasing as you lost traction and then back to normal as traction was restored at the other side of the bridge. It was just something you learned to anticipate, control, and live with. The guys off the road, or in the median strip had simply not figured it out yet!

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P.S. The overpasses...fly overs to others...freeze up notably at night due to the dew point depositing moisture on the road surface and since the bottom of the roadway is open to the air, rather than insulated by being in contact with the roadbed and ground, that is what causes the moisture to collect and freeze in those locations when other parts of the pavement would be perfectly dry. It is a trap for the amateur drivers to find out about the hard way.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"The guys off the road, or in the median strip had simply not figured it out yet!"

It is usually those kind of drivers that cause the worst "driving conditions".

I always try to expect the worse.

I'm not sure about poking meat thermometers would be very popular with RR&B owners . . . although it might deter unwanted visitors when driving through the rougher neighbourhoods ;)

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just love the way these threads go off one lol
Mike

Roger Routledge
New User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 00:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul
It is connected to a OEM plug under the bonnet, so I would say original, and the valance end has been straight cut.

Michael.
Wow! your dead right.

Roger

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not my fault. Provoked by the ice warning sender and off it went................

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My screen was covered in ice . . Couldn't tell which way we were going :-)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 926
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have driven many vehicles in icy conditions with out ice alert. Ice is easy to detect, if it's cold and puddles have a thin ice sheet the the road is liable to be icy.

Ice alerts are just an outside temp gauge. My Jeep has a ambient temperature gauge when it gets to 1 c I become aware that ice may be present. Ice warning is really a gimmick and unnecessary. There are after market ones available.

I was driving through Andover UK and the road was thick with ice. I stopped at some lights and the car slide side ways into the gutter very gently. A police car behind stopped and the copper fell over on the ice. While using his car to hoist him self up the police car slide sideways down the camber into the gutter neatly parked behind my car. It was a right struggle to get the car moving again. I ended up doing 5 mph in a snow storm. Such fun.

The problem is that the younger drivers seem not understand the dangers of an icy road -------- until they learn the hard way and maybe hit me at the same time.

Oh yeah also if the glass is misted up inside a car it must mean damp in car. The Air Con and heater together will clear the glass very quick and if air con left on it will suck the damp out of the car. So best to use air con every now and again in the winter. The defrost position on my Jeep also engages the air on its very effective. At least Chysler got that bit right.

Buses in the UK are tested on skid pans for driver training to prove the roadwortyness of the vehicle.
I worked for AEC the makers of RouteMaster buses. I saw a film of the skid pan frozen over with a double decker bus going sideways and gently coming to a halt. It slide a frigging long way. Quite an eye opener.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: