Wood facia removal 1990 Turbo R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Wood facia removal 1990 Turbo R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Keeler
Yet to post message
Username: cal_turbo_r

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have searched the archives but have not turned up an answer to my question. I need to remove the speedometer in my 1990 Turbo R. The problem is that I first need to remove the wood facia from the dash to gain access. Prior to 1990 it was quite simple: remove the screws. On my '90 of course the screws are gone. I have read that it is held by the trim for the pulls for the vents, but I wasn't able to easily remove them. I hesitate to experiment too much for fear of damaging the veneer. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

David Thomas
Experienced User
Username: davidthomas

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 14:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This interests me too for gaining access to replace the clock and outside air temperature display globes in my 1990 Spirit 11.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the 'organ stops' push pulls for the bullseyes vents need to be removed. Yes gone are the tiny little grub screws you needed and allen key for. The ends should turn and unscrew. Gently unscrew the ends of the rods. And as far as I am aware the veneer should then be very gently prized out of its seated postion. I know someone has done this very recently with success.

be sure to be careful not to too hard, if it has not been removed before it may well pay to use extreme care.

Cheers

J

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James is absolutely right.
look up http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/show.pl?17/12595
to see that thread for a Continental R but the principle is the same.
Good luck.
Omar

David Thomas
Experienced User
Username: davidthomas

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is that the right link Omar. Seems to revert to this thread.
Thanks,
David

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

my sincere apologies David.
try http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/11477.html?1325446133

Roderick Keeler
New User
Username: cal_turbo_r

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 12:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all. The facia is off, and the speedometer came out easily. I really appreciate the knowledge of this group. Again, thanks.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Wednesday, 22 August, 2012 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Surprisingly, one aspect omitted here is the removal of the facia retainers (UB78239 or UB88424) which applies to cars without the exposed facia retaining screws. I thought it worthwhile to include that here for those with cars so equipped. The retainers are also the chromes guides for the organ pull knobs, and are about 15mm outer diameter and 8 or so inside for the knobs. That is the only vaguely tricky part of removing the facia on these later cars.

The manuals call for tool RH 12237: you push the tool against the retainer and turn it anticlockwise 45 degrees to release the retainer.

RH 12237 you ask ? There is a better way. Remove the organ pull by unscrewing it, then wrap masking tape around its shank such that it is a tight fit in the retainer/guide. Push it back into the retainer until it jams, then at the same time turn it anticlockwise until the retainer clicks to 45 degrees. Done. The rest is the same as outlined earlier.

RT..

Darryl
Yet to post message
Username: darryl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2012 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why didn't I think of that Richard?

I used fabric sticking plasters over the end of a pair of pliers to remove & refit the fasteners.

Rgds Darryl