Mixture setting question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Mixture setting question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Morley
Prolific User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys,

Mixture setting. Bentley Turbo R 1988. I have a Catalytic Converter but no O2 feedback. The manual refers to cars without the converter (0.6%>>0.8% CO), and with the converter coupled with an O2 sensor (0.5%>>0.7%). There is also a mention in another section of 0.8%>>1% CO) but not sure where that fits. My car never had the O2 sensor fitted.

When setting the mixture it says to remove the O2 sensor to set the base mixture. Is it fair to assume that given I don't have the O2 sensor, and it gets removed from the feedback loop anyway on cars with a converter, that this is the mixture I would set it to.

Hope to get it done tomorrow if anyone can guide me.

Cheers
Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 11:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Additional problem.

Noted in the manual, with a Cat converter there is supposed to be a tap before the converter to sample the exhaust. Doesn't exist on my car. Almost like my car was built without the intention of fitting a converter but added at the last minute with no additional supporting parts.

Maybe I need to add a sampling tap before I even bother to try and set the mixture.

Any thoughts?

Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds far more like the Cat converter was tacked on later on for some reason.

Odd car, RHD non-cat with active restraints. Most likely from Japan with a Cat hastily put on to save annual penalty taxes for non-Cat cars there.

SCBZS0TA4JCH22888
SCBZS 0T A 4 J C H 22888

Look at http://rrtechnical.info/ChassisNumbers/sz_vin.pdf

0T 6.75 Litre V8, single Garrett turbocharger, non-catalyst (pre -1988)

A Active seat belts

J 1988 Model Year

H Home (RHD)

In any case, a CO reading after the cat is useless on any car for checking engine tune. I do have a few suggestions. Cat or not, the reading before the Cat should be 0.8% - 1.0% (in open loop if a Lambda sensor and controller are fitted).

Could you confirm the full chassis VIN ?

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 19:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, Cats were only available from Chassis 23935 onwards. All chassis before 23935 with a Turbo were essentially grey exports. I also thought that the 1988MY started at Chassis 23935 but may be wrong. In any case, the VIN is very interesting indeed.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it's the same car as you showed beforehand, it is a July-August 1987 car through and through down to the last detail.

I would expect the VIN to be SCBZS0TO4HCH22888

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Thanks for that. Just looking at the exhaust setup with the Cats. My car doesn't quite Gel. think your right, tacked on after the event. The one fitted doesn't even look like any of the ones in the manual.

It does have the Japanese exhaust temp sensor so that sort of making sense.

Might tap a hole before the converter for exhaust sampling and blank it off.

Cheers
Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

It is the same car as the photo. The chassis number is correct.

When I was working on the seats and a couple of other bits in the car there is peoples signatures and 87 on assorted parts but chassis number holds at 88. As do the delivery details in the build file.

888 bought in 88 by a Japanese person in Germany. Don't know if same holds for Japanese but 8 has significance for the Chinese.

Go figure.

Cheers
Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Again, do check the engine number for us. I would expect it to be about 62212L410I/T, a UK-spec non-Cat KE-2 Jetronic motor without a cross-bolted crankcase, one of the very last to that preferred specification.

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Engine Number 62937L4101T8 and Chassis number SCBZSOTA4JCH22888

Build file and current rego stuff all concurs.

What does that mean for the engine?

Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aha. The German connection. Even non-cat cars sold new a few years beforehand cars in Germany had already a few thousand extra tax yearly by 1990. It was a sweetheart agreement between MB, VW, Opel and BMW to sell lots of new cars in exchange for the investment in Cat systems. Earlier German Cat cars for the USA were really sick. Udo will confirm the amount but it was quite some $thousands yearly by then. A retro Cat did the job until the laws went mad again around 1993. I lived in that part of the world then and know it all too well. Let’s hope that the car is not a rebirth.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

62937L410IT8

Engine number 62937. 1987 Model Year. 60001 was the first 20,000-series motor in October 1986, a departure from the SYL series engines starting in 1969.

L Longitudinal
410 410 Cubic Inch (actually 412 CuIn)
I Injection KE-2 Jetronic
T Turbocharged
8 = 8 cylinder.

Same as my 60018L410IT8

UK, non-Cat, Cobbled up afterwards for Germany and Japan it seems.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

AND you have the marvellous 2.28:1 final drive. The Oz cars have the 2.69:1. With space you can wind it to 270km/h. Does it have the dual MPH/km/h speedo with a miles odo still ?

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 20:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Cant be sure of the dates the car moved from Germany to Japan. But the car was in Japan in 1994. Came to Oz in 2003.

Doubtful over a rebirth, aside from all the numbers making sense with the original build details. There are no clues on the chassis as to any work beyond normal manufacture and all the assorted bits in the car have references made to 22888.

Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

My speedo only has KPH and only goes to 220, although know it does a lot more than this. Well it did before I lost the boost pressure.

Yeah still haven't solved it. Distracting side issues that needed solving first masking the real fault, that being intermittent is making it tough to get to the bottom of.

Reasonably certain its the O ring I talked to you about months ago. Followed your comments and variations on the theme but no success.

Since rebuilt the boost controller board loading new caps and soldering all the joints. Also replaced all the caps on the ignition unit and replaced all the caps there. Figured out ways of bench testing the systems simulating assorted engine conditions. Certainly have a pretty good understanding of the assorted electrics.

Ignition unit had a fault, the RPM signal to the boost controller and one ignition amplifier was putting out twice the frequency it should have. Didn't fix the problem but least it works right now.

Thanks for the details, I thought I had the lower diff ratio but was never sure.

Cheers
Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Give me the throb of a meaty V8 any day. One of the simple pleasures in life. I know of a 89 Turbo R, the owner changed the twin pipes to a bigger single, that sounds like it means business.

The Mog a Rover V8 has two short pipes either side of the car exiting just behind the door. That sounds pretty meaty. Who does long trips in comfort in a mog anyway :-)

Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

I am about to order a new O-Ring for the Plenum on SCBZS0T03HCH20163, a friend's Turbo R just like mine and yours. It is also an import from Japan, originally delivered nominally in the UK before immediate shipping as a grey to Tokyo. A certain less reputable spares outfit sent one which is 1½mm too thin and leaks. I'll order a few and send you one.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, all Turbos have the revised firing order and feel like a common throbby V8. It's all up to you, but the silkinesss of our T-Series is superb to me. The revised firing order was standardised at the 30,000-series SZ cars. The Turbos needed it as they snapped crankshafts on prototypes with the earlier sweeter firing order,

RT.

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2010 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Thanks for that. Send me a private email and well sort out the details.

Don't know anyone with a T Series. Went to the RROCA SA Xmas bash. Couple of Ghosts, surprised me how smooth they were. But the gem of the day for me. Beautiful car.

Flying Spur

Cheers
Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Friday, 10 December, 2010 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, I made a mistake in my earlier post identifying the engine number. The 8 means 8:1 compression ratio.

. L=Longitudinal
. 410=410 Cubic Inches displacement (actually 412 cu.in. or 6750cc)
. I=fuel Injection
. T=Turbocharged
. 8=8:1 Compression Ratio.

For Completeness:

1987 model year (1987MY), 20,000-series cars, the Identification Code comprises:

• A five digit build number which commenced at 60000 for the 1987MY
• A 5 character engine code denoting:
. L=Longitudinal
. 410=410 Cubic Inch (412 cu.in.)
. • An optional single letter: T=Turbocharged, no letter= naturally aspirated
• A “/” separator
• A single digit, either 8=8:1 compression ratio or 9=9:1 compression ratio, OR the letter I for Intercooler (introduced for the 1989MY. By that time, all the engines had long been 8:1)

Examples
60018L410IT/8 Turbocharged 8:l compression
63999L410IT/l: Turbocharged with intercooler.

From the 1990MY onwards, the Identification Code comprises:

• A five digit build number.
• A five character engine code: L410I prior to 1994MY, or L410M from 1994
. L=Longitudinal
. 410=410 Cubic Inch (412 cu.in.)
. I=injected; M=Injected
• A single character engine code, N=naturally aspirated or T=turbocharged
• A single character exhaust system code, either E=standard exhaust or K=catalytic converter
• A single character denoting the model year of engine type introduction. L=1990, N =1992, R=1994, S =1995, T = 1996.

For the 1996MY, the exhaust system code became the engine management system code: 1 =OBD I, 2 =OBD II, and L = leaded fuel tolerant.

A /Z suffix denotes a naturally aspirated engine with the Zytek engine management system and traction control system.

RT.

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, 11 December, 2010 - 05:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, 270kmph equates to nearly 168mph.Thats the best kept secret about these cars. Tremendous. And all for £8000 in the UK. Regards, Nigel.