Spirit II Brake Pads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Spirit II Brake Pads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rowland Palmer
New User
Username: rowland

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone tell me what front disc pads to use on my 1990 Spirit II. Surely there must be some available in Australia i.e. Bendix

Thanks

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2603
Posted on Thursday, 20 July, 2017 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rowland,

If the callipers are the same as those fitted to the earlier Shadows/Spirits, the front pads for a V8 Holden Statesman/Caprice from the 1980's should fit.

Just remove one of the pads and take it with you to check with the Holden pads to be sure.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, 06 August, 2017 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just fitted a set of eight boxed Ferodo FDB1284 to my pals 20,000 series 1988 Spirit.These even have the wear sensor hole.
Regards, Nigel.

Rowland Palmer
New User
Username: rowland

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 06 August, 2017 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info guys

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, 15 August, 2017 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too have just fitted Ferodo FDB1284's to our 1990 Mulsanne S.
The wear sensor is a wire fed through the hole in the brake pad and held in place with a plastic plug around which the wire is looped.
Easy to remove & fit.
I purchased mine from Introcar using the RR/B part number for earlier none sensor pads.

Regards
Darryl

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bendix DB625 should fit and same as Shadow and Spirit.You will need two sets and they also fit Cortina .You may need to drill sensor hole but newer ones may have it already as in Ferrodo and can fit sensor form old pads .I always put anti squeal sticky pads on back if not fitted with them.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 23:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel, are these pads the same friction material as Crewe Genuine ? If not, a set of damaged discs will cost far more than correct pads.
Mark

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have used them many times over the past 30 years on Shadows and Spirits with great success and never had a damaged disc. Bendix/Mintex list them as suitable for RR. They are a high quality pad in Australia and my Dads Shadow I always serviced used Bendix pads for 200000 miles on same discs.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is so much spurious waffle written about what will happen if you don't use RR-B sanctioned products.....and woe betide anybody who steps outside the Hallowed Halls of the accepted RR-B Lore
There are many good products that are perfectly acceptable for use on these machines....after all, that's exactly what they are....no more, no less.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max Heazlewood:

Thank God there is someone else who is willing to state, unequivocally, that there is not anything mystically special about Crewe Original parts, and particularly those that are standard service items.

It is not "denigrating the car" to replace an original Bosch relay with the current equivalent, belts with their equivalents, etc.

Virtually every car in the world, if it's a car that's in service, will end up with one or more aftermarket parts on it over the span of its lifetime. Some may be inferior, but most from the major makers are not. Let's not even get into the fact that a huge number of the parts used were not made by Crewe and the exact ones used could and did change over time for certain things that stopped being produced, or if someone else would produce to spec at lower cost.

There's been plenty of evidence that some are superior to what Crewe used OEM. That Crewe could do no wrong is demonstrably a myth to anyone who's owned a Rolls-Royce or Bentley and particularly to anyone who's spent a lot of time working on them. [BTW, the same can be said of any automobile manufacturer.]

Brian, who'd reach out and hug you if I could!

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, I have no issue with your philosophy as long as the substitute parts are of equal or superior quality ( particularly brake pads being of exactly the same friction material specification, which used to be obtainable from the manufacturers; my source of such information is sadly deceased) Personally I like replacement parts to look identical to the originals wherever possible, eg visual underbonnet items, but that is my my hangup. If I alter anything I always keep all original parts so they can be retrofitted.
The beauty of Rolls is that this is possible, many other marques of which I have and have had are reliant on repro parts, which are discernible from the originals.Certainly if I buy a car which has aftermarket or substitute parts, I expect to discount the price considerably.
Mark

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 12:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As they say....if urban myths are repeated often enough, they become gospel

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How many have fitted the Cortina pads and had calliper seals fail with LHM ETC?
More on this bad practice later.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: