No HEAT (79 Shadow) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » No HEAT (79 Shadow) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I discovered this morning I had no heat in my 79 Shadow. It was chilly here at 40F. The servo is "dead" and not working at all when I dial in heat with the upper and lower thumbwheels. The fans are blowing great. I switched the side boards from one side to the other on the servo with no joy! Is there a fuse for the servo?

Any help greatly appreciated! I have never had this issue in 20+ years of driving Shadows!

Richard

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard.
The servo motors have a habit of sticking in one position because they depend on a wiping contact to operate properly. The contact gets a bit iffy and the motor does not turn. Bingo.

But there are two motors involved - one for "Upper", one for "Lower". It could be that one of them has not worked for some time - it might not be obvious - and now the other has failed.

If it is a fuse it is number 11 but that feeds other things too.

When you turn a temperature control you should hear a little whirring noise from the servo. Remember that the knob must be pulled out to get heat, too. So a whirring noise for this action too.

Alan D.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 706
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 21:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car is 1979, does not have the pull out and rotate heat controls. It has two thumbwheels.

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 23:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are still servo motors on the water valve and on the air control flaps. The linkages connecting the servo motors to the valves and/or flaps can also break, bend, or fall off.

The electronics in the servo control unit can also fail, but if you switched boards without effect it's less likely to be that.

My guess is the wiring to, or the servo motor on, or the water valve itself.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(FWIW, I've had all of the above bar the water valve itself fail at one time or another.)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2021 - 01:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I realize that the original poster believes this is a servo motor problem. But since this is a "heat thread" . . .

I already mentioned elsewhere that the heater tap valves can fail, but since this is an SY2 car that's way less likely given the redesign in same for those cars.

But you can also have the setscrew that holds the cable in place come loose, and not have the valve being opened and closed. You can also have times where, if the valve has been sticky, the cable itself "becomes mushy" from having been overstressed when trying to push the valve open. This is one of those instances where it would have made more sense, to me, to design with a long NON-braided cable. Someone once said, "You can't push a string," and even braided cable can become "string like" in places under the right (or, more accurately, wrong) conditions.

Brian

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2021 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I "think" my problem is indeed NOT the servo, BUT somehow the servo has been bypassed in the system! The blower fans work perfectly, BUT they are not adjustable! They blow on high even if the switch is on low, auto, high. Also, the defrost is not hot nor does it move the air to the screen. Again, I am thinking the servo is not getting power, etc. I loosen the cable at the tap and the lever moves freely (and both hoses are hot when heat is selected). The car "lived" in Florida all it's life after being bought at Bentley High Point;therefore, not any need for heat. I am assuming the heat was bypassed so the system would not adjust to heat on coolish mornings since the owner wanted AC all the time??? I bought the car from the original owner, but sadly, he passed away a year ago.

Richard

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, 23 October, 2021 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the last posting of the topic "Rolls Royce Air conditioning course notes - 1975", in this forum, are instructions on how to retrieve these a copy of this document. It might help you get to the cause of this problem.

Good luck.

Alan D.

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, 28 October, 2021 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had the car shipped to my retired RR dealer tech. The servo is now working. It was a bad relay. The BAD news is the hoses to the heater core were disconnected because of a leaking heater core. I need to make a decision whether I want him to replace it. He said the dash has to be taken out and it's a 16 hour job (for labor). I'm tempted not to replace the core because everything is working perfectly now such as the cruise, etc. I am thinking if the dash is removed, I may be creating more problems!

Any thoughts?

Richard

PS The car has been garaged from new and is in mint condition;therefore, I am disappointed with the news.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Thursday, 28 October, 2021 - 12:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Ultimately, only you can make that call. But be aware that the entire climate control system in this car depends on both heat and cooling sources at all times.

You could almost certainly get away with no heat source, but I have no idea how that would impact the modulation of cooling in the cabin. The mixing flaps are used to get "the perfect temperature" in the air flow to maintain the cabin temperature where you set it.

If your tech has done the heater core replacement in the past, I'd be less hesitant.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2021 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it was me - I would try a well known fluid that is claimed to seal leaks in radiators to see if that seals the leak. If it works it will save you a lot of time and money. If it doesn't - you haven't lost anything. worth a try given how difficult it is to replace the heater matrix on these cars.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2021 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a good idea. I've found them surprisingly effective....

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2021 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar & Jeff,

I'll give that suggestion a "third."

In years past, when I had need to use radiator stop leak I found it very effective indeed. And if the issue was a tiny pin hole the end result often held for years afterward.

There is very good reason to avoid tearing apart the entire dash unless that proves to be absolutely necessary.

Brian

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2021 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

AWESOME idea using a sealer! Now, what are your recommendations for one that has worked for you?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2021 - 13:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

'Bars Leaks" has proved very effective for me

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2021 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Bars Leaks" is also the one I've used.

That being said, I'd bet they're all pretty much the same stuff.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, 29 October, 2021 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bars leaks has got me out of trouble numerous times, and was standard fit on some Jags from new. K Seal is popular these days in the trade in the UK but I have not used it.
Mark

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Saturday, 30 October, 2021 - 02:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just as an aside, and I'm not proposing anyone use this rather than a real sealing product, my father (and many more than him) used to use ground black pepper. The concept was pretty much the same as "the real stuff" in that it allows very small particulate matter, that can float in the coolant and not harm the water pump, etc., to "find" the holes as coolant is being pushed out there and to plug them. Micro-corks, if you will.

Most of the modern leak sealers for cooling systems and radiators in particular operate on this principle, and include some "solids" as part of what gets poured in. I'd imagine, though, that these solids have a bit more long term stability than black pepper powder would.

Brian

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 792
Posted on Saturday, 30 October, 2021 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've seen numerous DIY cooling system sealers used over the years and all of them sealed minor leaks to some extent but I'm not recommending them. They included: ground pepper, ground ginger and egg whites. I used the egg white once and it worked but after a while the smell of rotting egg was off-putting. I've seen a potato cut in half and rubbed on a windscreen to divert rain water when a wiper motor failed and that worked to some extent too.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Saturday, 30 October, 2021 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree Larry. Sealers are a get you home temp fix can cause lasting problems if left in the system.

A RR heater matrix and cooling rad etc will last years if the following is not carried out. First is the failing of antifreeze change in under five years due to the inhibitors failing.
The added main cause that is present in most cooling systems is the electrolysis that eats away inside the rad, heater core (matrix) and sometimes liner seals water jacket etc due to the many types of metals present. More so with failing inhibitors.
IMO a show queen in mint condition that spends it's time not used is the worst contender with the antifreeze left unchanged for years with the belief of chuck some sealant in when the coolant level has dropped leaving the stuff in.

Water pump seals failing can be caused by the sealant being left in the system. Boiling due to a stuck thermostat and cooling radiator fins with internal blockage.
The end in sight of a total wrecked engine.
As for the heater matrix when holed I was always told to fit new and look for the cause.
Time to get the volts meter out.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 11:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Richard, there is nothing like doing the job correctly and fixing the heater core itself.

You have a qualified guy who can do the job right so I would suggest you get it done right.

Your car is as you say in mint condition so just keep it there.

Love the picture, any more,.....? ;)

Graham.

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE!

I have to apologize because my tech said the hoses were disconnected to the heater core because he was certain the heater core had a leak. I dropped the ball because he did NOT say it HAD a leak, but he was almost certain it did. Luckily, he was wrong! The hoses were reconnected & with the new relay, the servo/heat is working fine (with no leaks)! I drove the car 180 miles home yesterday with absolutely no problems!

Again, I SINCERELY appreciate everyone's help!

Richard

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having the hoses disconnected was a good thing then, it saved the heater core from deteriorating because the last owner had no use for it. Most would have just left the coolant sitting in it with zero flow to it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 13:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The problem being that, in the SY2 series cars (and I think even the SY1, but I could be wrong about that), the climate control system always cools down air to remove humidity if the temperature is above freezing and then reheats it (even if just a bit) afterward.

If the climate control is used at all in these cars both the heat and ac parts of the heat exchanger (AKA heater core) should be getting a frequent workout.

I have no idea why someone would have disconnected the flow to the heater part of the heat exchanger, to be honest.

Brian

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 13:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree, Brian. I do not understand why someone would have disconnected the hoses!

Graham...Attached are some pics of what I did to the large "hole" between the seats (used originally for cassette/8-track tapes). I used a console from a Mercedes. I dyed the console to match the seats.

Richard

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Richard, Great news with the heater, best outcome there.

Thats not a bad job you have done with the center console.

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is good news in more ways than one re sealant!

"I have no idea why someone would have disconnected the flow to the heater part of the heat exchanger, to be honest."

To answer the above maybe the a/c controller or failed relay could have could have caused it to fail in the open hot position, not a good thing in a hot climate

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3249
Posted on Monday, 01 November, 2021 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Not some thing I'd considered, but it would be an absolutely reasonable presumption.

I wouldn't have disconnected them, but instead put a manual cut-off valve in.

People in the warmer climes here in the USA are "freezing" in weather that I'm still outside in short sleeves for, and that occurs in places like Georgia, Florida, etc. during the driving season for these cars.

But desperate times call for desperate measures and some don't really think about all the ramifications.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: