Transmission Lock Up Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Transmission Lock Up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Caddy
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 45.126.24.199
Posted on Tuesday, 03 March, 2020 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I have a 1970 Shadow SHR8020. I was recently driving when a clicking sound began emanating from the gear selector. Soon after this, the transmission locked, bringing the car to a sudden halt.

I put the car into park and back into drive, the above happened again. I then tried L and 1, both worked and I was able to proceed.

Does anyone know if this is an electrical issue of a transmission issue?

David, I have approved this version and deleted the other you submitted as they were duplicates.

(Message approved by david_gore)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3621
Posted on Tuesday, 03 March, 2020 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Your car is fitted with the GM T400 3-speed torque converter automatic transmission with an electronic gear selection actuator.

I suspect there is a problem in the actuator stopping it putting the transmission into Drive for some reason [possibly worn/misaligned components when Drive is selected]. Another possibility is broken wires in the wiring harness causing the actuator to "skip over" the "Drive" selection components in the actuator.

I suggest you download [absolutely free of charge] the Shadow Service Manual [TSD2476 High Resolution Version] from the Technical Library and make yourself familiar with the transmission actuator.

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/tsd2476hires.htm

Download the entire manual when you have time however Section T will have the information you need - just start at Page T143 and the Actuator is covered from page T195.

Do the recommended diagnostic checks and if you have any questions, please post them and our members will help with advice. I have some experience overhauling the T400 transmission from a mechanical perspective but had no reason to undertake any actuator repairs at the time.

I am confident we will be able to help resolve your problem but we need the diagnostic tests being undertaken so we can try to identify the problem[s] and the remediation involved.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: