Car Cover? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Car Cover? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, 16 November, 2021 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Where can I get one of these for my Camilla?

Graham.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Wednesday, 15 December, 2021 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham.
Did you ever find anything resembling the really great looking cover above.

Richard.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, 16 December, 2021 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unless it is real silk you would not want to put your car under a cover like that
Covers must be able to breathe and should never be tight against the paintwork.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, 16 December, 2021 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

To date no I have'nt found one,..

But I guess you can have one made,..?

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 722
Posted on Thursday, 16 December, 2021 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Flying Spares now has covers designed for various conditions. I have a beautiful cover from California Car Covers. Perfect fit with pockets for both mirrors, mascot, etc. "Rolls_Royce" embroidered in blue to match the car on front.
It breathes and of course soft. It is designed for indoor.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are car covers worth using?
Do they not cause more damage than good?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No, what kind of damage are you thinking?

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They're meant to keep the dust off inside a dry garage, preferably heated.
They are not meant to be used outside in the wet. They trap moisture between the cover and the paint. Anyone who uses a tarp who thinks he is protecting the car, isn't.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Robert, Do you have any pics of your cover?

Cost?

Graham.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert.
Would it be possible for you post a photo of your with cover in place thanks.

Richard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

The biggest problem with car covers comes in dusty climates with abrasive wind-borne dust getting trapped in the cover material then scratching the paintwork when you pull the cover off.

Unless you have an overhead crane to lift the cover up without dragging, scratching is inevitable over time from cheap woven covers.

I had this problem 40 years ago with my first new car that had to be parked outside with a cover due to air pollution and dust problems.

Over time the paintwork began to show scratches from my dragging it off and on the car until I gave up and left it exposed.

8 years later, the inevitable rust problems became obvious, a quick "tart up" followed and I traded the car when my employer changed from paying a car allowance to supplying a company car, fortunately we were allowed to trade in our cars when the new vehicles were delivered and receive the proceeds.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We had some very expensive flock linned covers for the wedding cars as they were all parked outside on concrete hard stand and of course had to look pristine all the time
I spent almost as much time cleaning the inside with a vacuum than I did polishing the paint work.
Then if hail was forecast,furnature blankets had to go on first .
All went well till the one time I forgot to remove the cover on one car for 2 weeks .
It now has a roof full of rust holes
If stored outside then a cover of some kind is a must to protect the interiour from UV
If stored inside then they are a waste of time unless you have condensation problems in which case flannelette is the best material to use which is what we cover the ways of the lathes & mills with.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3253
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar Shams wrote:
Are car covers worth using?
Do they not cause more damage than good?

No. Yes.

If you are going to have a car outside over the long term, making sure that there is just the tiniest bit of air circulation to the interior (micro-cracked windows) and blocking sunlight from pouring through the windows (exterior or interior window shades - light blocking and preferably outwardly reflective) protects what most desperately needs it [in my climate; I'd think anything stored outdoors in Dubai would be a goner in short order just because of the interior temperatures routinely generated].

I'd actually love to try, just for the fun of it, making custom cut light blocking window shades from cardboard that's painted on the outward facing side with that really new, ultra-white paint that has been shown to actually cool the surfaces on which it's applied when they're exposed to direct sunlight.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I was storing a car for a few months I'd use a carcoon or airchamber. They are available for interior or exterior use.

a

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.carcoon.com/product-range/vehicle/outdoor/outdoor-carcoon/

Expensive though, for a MK6 Bentley it would take a size 5, that's £553.23, that's almost 1000.00 Canadian dollars, could almost build a proper garage for that if I do it myself.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, 17 December, 2021 - 22:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a technique to removing and covering cars with covers. Covers should not be pulled or "dragged" off. That's where your scratches may begin. I start at the rear and roll the cover from the boot to the grill. and reverse when putting it on. A cover is most certainly needed for dark colors and all my cars are stored inside and never go out in bad weather.
Works in progress use clear covers which are cheap and have elastic all around.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Saturday, 18 December, 2021 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my experience, all car covers do is scratch paint, trap moisture and speed up the rusting of cars. The little upside of using a car cover is negated by the disadvantages.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, 18 December, 2021 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nevr had a problem with covers in over 40 yrs using them. You can easily incur more scatches washing and drying off a car with poor methods and products.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Sunday, 19 December, 2021 - 01:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes but people generally don't wash and dry cars off with poor methods. But they do use covers and dont fully understand the mechanisms at play whilst the car cover rubs on the paintwork with trapped air and moisture underneath.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, 19 December, 2021 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have have been the custodian for 2 collections. Many cars are in the 7 figures apiece and I can tell you there are no issues what so ever. Covers should obviously breathe and FYI the cars are never washed.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Monday, 20 December, 2021 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another of the situations where there are clear camps and neither is at all likely to get members to switch.

The positions of each are now abundantly clear.

As is so often the case, those who are undecided need to weigh the options presented and go with what they feel is best.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: