Fuel vaporisation after a run Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Fuel vaporisation after a run « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Routledge
New User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2023 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Took the Shadow 1 out for a 45mile run, everything went well.
Got home and parked outside the garage switched off and left the car for about 15/20mins went to restart and the engine turned over briskly but did not fire up. It did start eventually after quite a few attempts . It has always done this but it appears to be getting worse. Any ideas on how to prevent fuel vaporisation.
Thanks for any suggestions.
1976 Shadow 1 SRH26250

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2023 - 03:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had this problem on my 74 Shadow 1 and the problem was ultimately resolved when I fitted an overheat reduction kit from Flying Spares.

Prior to that I'd replaced the Viscous fan coupling and the improved air flow over the engine helped a little.

I'd check out all the other possible causes before buying the kit, i.e. engine tuning, coolant getting too hot etc.

https://www.flyingspares.com/overheat-reduction-kit-rh13183kit.html

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, 15 September, 2023 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What oil are you using in the dashpots ?When I was using my Shadow daily( pre ethanol fuel) I found a 0/40 or 5/50 oil more effective as the ATF or straight 20 oil was too thin when the carbs were hot in summer. Also check the hot air flap is switching off, I blank off the vacuum connection in summer, because vacuum temp valve on the air intake did not switch off completely, giving a high air intake temperature. Also check the mixture weakener system works correctly, again this can cause starting problems when hot. I am in the UK so high ambient temperatures are rarely a problem ! I have found with E5 fuel the car runs better with the weakener blanked off and fuel consumption is 13-14 MPG as always !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: