I'm trying to sort out the OEM radio/... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » I'm trying to sort out the OEM radio/tape player.. HELP! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phillip Cyr
New User
Username: lakeb35

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey All,
I'm trying to sort the radio and tape player and being an electrical tard.. It's driving me nuts. Does anyone know what these symbols mean? The diamond shapes and the linear cross hatch.
Thnx
Phillip

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 840
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the diamond shapes represent socket connections and the letters & numbers signify the wire colours and number of strands in the cable but I'm not good with electrical stuff either which might explain why I've been working on my power windows for days but haven't yet worked out why they still don't function.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 07:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have not seen these in RR literature. The cross-hatch is the outer woven metal shield of a coaxial cable - like a television aerial cable - with a central conductor.

Where did this diagram come from? I've spent hours looking at Shadow circuits and not seen these. Live and learn.

Alan D.

Phillip Cyr
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thnx for the info.
I found it in the RR Technical Library under chapterM

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At the start of Chapter M (in the introduction) there's a description of what each symbol means. It's possible that the coaxial cable is for the aerial but that's just a guess There's also a separate in-line fuse for the radio somewhere under the dashboard. I think it's on a brown wire but that's from unreliable memory.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can't find them in my copy of chapter M but I suggest that they are the connections to the four speakers. L and R for left and right, D and B for driver and back (doors). They will be round cables (co-ax, probably) and either round plugs or the usual blade-plus-pin speaker connection. Does that make sense?

Alan D.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FYI the speaker wiring is ordinary parallel zip cord and not shielded The "crosshatch usually denotes shielding and in some cases a protective covering.

Phillip Cyr
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 07 May, 2023 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all VERY VERY much for your input. I really wanted to restore this car back to all stock but I'm giving up.

I'm going to install a small bluetooth unit in the glove box (sadly) with new speakers and wire.

I will be installing the oem radio and tape player for aesthetic purposes and call it good.

Defeated,

Phillip

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Sunday, 07 May, 2023 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phillip,

Please do not give up yet - when faced with situations like you are experiencing; I have literally "walked away" from doing anything further for a couple of weeks before starting again with fresh eyes and open mind.

This often results in the discovery of previously overlooked factors causing the problem[s] being experienced.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: