New Member - R-R Corniche FHC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » New Member - R-R Corniche FHC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darren Austin
Yet to post message
Username: djaustin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All.

I’ve just joined the forum, so a quick post to say hello!

I’ve owned a few Rolls-Royces over the past decade, and my current drive is a willow gold Corniche FHC - very Seventies!

The car has just been recommissioned by Paul Yorke after a couple of years in storage, and I’m enjoying having it back on the road.

Cheers,
Darren

Darren Austin
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 04:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photo 1

Photo 1

Darren Austin
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photo 2Photon2

Darren Austin
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photo 3Photo 3

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely looking car Darren, happy motoring.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 971
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darren welcome to the forum, great looking car.

Richard.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 15:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Darren....welcome to the forim and may I say
what a gorgeous example of one of RR's most elegant designs

Make sure you check the chassis and running gear underneath....give them a good pressure clean to reveal any possible corrosion areas and any rust traps where crud builds up unnoticed.
Especially with your road and weather conditions, it becomes paramount.
Congratulations on owning such a beautiful steed and long may you enjoy the fruits of your endevour.
These are not a hard car to maintain if you keep on top of the correct and regular maintenance.
Far too many good cars go to ground because owners will not give them the attention they deserve.

Darren Austin
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 01:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you, gentlemen!

The car has an interesting history, having been originally registered as 3500 TU and used as a Rolls-Royce press car. I’ve traced a photo of it that was used in some promotional material, parked at Stonehenge of all places!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 09:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darren welcome to the worlds best RR/B forum.

Your car looks superb. I have a Camargue which is also a two door RR and a Spirit but I think the lines of the Corniche are far prettier.

Happy motoring !

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I am referring you to the Supreme Soviet for gross heresy with your Corniche/Camargue comparison.

Both cars are a product of their times:-

* The Corniche is a product of the "smooth swinging 60's".

* The Camargue is a product of the "brash in-your-face 70's".

Says it all IMHO

Grand Master

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes David but please don't tell Brian!!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the forum.

Happy motoring with your magnificent looking FHC

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Saturday, 09 June, 2018 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Darren,
Welcome to the Forum and how lucky you must be to have a car that is as beautiful as Vladimir's Camargue.
I think secretly everyone wants to have a Corniche but very few actually do.
I secretly want to have a Camargue but there arent enough of those to go round.

Grand Master

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 03:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, Beverley Hills Car Club has a light blue Camargue for sale at $39,500 USD through Hemmings which they say needs "light cosmetics" with under 70,000 miles on the odometer.

I would ignore the statement "light cosmetics" totally and go and look at the car in person. It is left hand drive. Most Camargue went to the USA in LHD and only 184 were RHD out of 551 ever made.

My guess is there are now less than 200 Camargue in existence on the planet now.

This is certainly the cheapest Camargue for sale anywhere.

I would also say there are things wrong with this car that the dealer is never going to admit, dealers being as dealers are.

Good luck, and remember if you do buy it Brian will slap you with several wet chickens for having no taste. Also, bear in mind that you could probably sell land on Mars quicker than you could sell a Camargue!

My bet is the dealer is negotiable on his price and the car probably owes him 10,000 USD or he has it on consignment.

The colour, if original is rare. Camargue look much better in darker shades but you in middle eastern robes with a fat Cigar would look at least half King Billy with Ray Bands jet black glasses in Dubai!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Vlad.
That's a shadow Camargue. If I ever buy one, I will look at a Spirit Camargue as I prefer the LHM cars to the 363 cars.
There are plenty Camargues in my neck of the woods and sometimes they do come up for sale.

Right now I am looking at selling my inventory of steel to get a nice Phantom.... but failing at the selling part.....

Grand Master

Post Number: 936
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, the late model Phantom will drive you nuts as you try to keep it on the road. I read somewhere the engine has to come out to change the spark plugs and no doubt it has many ECUs to fail along with numerous sensors. A purchase of the correct scan tool will be essential unless you fancy greatly enriching the local RR dealer at $300 USD a sniff.

It must have been the suicide doors that got you in. The front of the car is quite horrid like a housebrick.

My Spirit is LMH and I don't think the swap from regular brake fluid was quite a success. I have two wheels that are bleeding green fluid everywhere and I was told by someone on the forum that the caliper seals are prone to leaking. I too hate brake fluid but am not convinced LMH is much better.

Are you going to sell your E-Type Jaguar?

I am looking forward to tease you horribly when your wallet starts to have convusions keeping the Phantom on the road. EEEKKK!!!

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 19:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’m with you Vladimir. I think the front of the first Goodwood Phantoms looks “Brutal”.

two tegether

Even withe a 'humanized' photograph the ratio of headlights to grill is all wrong in my book.

with person

Much too hard to digest, even with a 'green salad'

Front

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,
get behind the wheel of one and then have your say. These cars are simply breathtaking.
The spark plug thing is not a Rolls problem.. it is a Bentley problem. Some Bentleys need that engine out job to change the plugs - not the Phantom.
I am only being held back by the excess metal in my garden right now. The minute they go - the Phantom comes home.

Grand Master

Post Number: 937
Posted on Sunday, 10 June, 2018 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar are you going to wear a mask and a cape like Batman when you drive it and will the wife flog you like the family mule for buying it?

Harry Heuchan
Experienced User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, 11 June, 2018 - 00:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, I am sure you are correct in saying that in owning and driving a Phantom they would be everything a R-R should be. (Overall ambiance, the waft ability, the quietness with ample reserves of engine torque coupled to the smoothest of transmissions and the like.) My point is simply that I think some aspects of the visual design of the R-R has been lost recently with some of the Goodwood vehicles especially in comparison to (say) Darren’s vehicle above or the example in my picture below. And yes, of course I would have one, IF, like all R-R’s for that matter, I could afford to maintain it in the appropriate manner.

Smooth

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Monday, 11 June, 2018 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Harry,
you are very right. It is wildly different to what we are used to.
When the Cloud was replaced by the boxy Shadow people said the same. And then when the the superboxy spirit came along..... people just couldnt cope with that shape....
Here we are again with the Phantom and one more time the traditionalists dont like the shape. I prefer the Cloud shape to anything - but the 50s are way way behind us and we now have to accept the shape of the current Phantom.
The car drives like a dream.... and for me that is what its about.

Omar wearing a Cape....

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2018 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

imho...haven't much researched the phantom but once visited a dealership as one does, was curious and learned the older models have more chrome details and the radiator grill is a bit larger...yes drives beautifully (couldn’t resist taking a test drive) but personally too much high tech for me...the direction R-R was heading at the time when BMW took over, I believe the attempt was to design a similar Cloud again with the less boxy style with more curves and in my eyes have done relatively well considering...the convertibles are stunning having seen only one on the road which was unanticipated and breathtaking...

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Tuesday, 03 July, 2018 - 06:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
The new Dawn is simply stunning.
I’ve had the pleasure to drive one on a couple of occasions while in Singapore, and like Felipe states, is quite breathtaking.

Even with the roof down it is still nearly silent.

The Dawn styling is a bit softer as well, and to my eye a little more the way I think they should have gone with Phantom VIII.

I think it is the best thing they have ever built.

I can just see Omar with a cape and mask on!!!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2018 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Dawn is stunning.
I just cant afford it mate......

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2018 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nor me mate
But we can dream

Omar would like to put his name on this one with the fat ass!!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

and who doesnt like a fat ass????
its like the "moped syndrome" really......
everybody wants to ride one but nobody wants to be seen riding it......

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2018 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like em Omar!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: