Magnetic float orientation in the bra... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Magnetic float orientation in the brake fluid reservoir « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kelly Opfar
New User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 11 November, 2004 - 14:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've disassembled the fluid reservoir on my Shadow (SRH24700) and had it replated. Now I can't remember which way the magnetic floats are positioned on the reed switches. Magnet side up or down? I have the factory manuals and parts breakdown list but neither shows the floats clearly. Also, one of my floats appears to never have been glued together - the halves easily separate and the magnet falls out loosely. Would ordinary superglue withstand the brake fluid environment?

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, 11 November, 2004 - 17:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Kelly
Get new ones from the dealer.
The magnet side goes down.

Kelly Opfar
New User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2004 - 02:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

whunter: Thanks for the orientation information! I had really hoped to avoid buying new ones as they are $50.00 each. One of my floats is intact and is clearly glued together with something -it is transparent and sealed with a red/brown adhesive.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2004 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

An email to Loctite eplaining that it is exposed to a Dot 3 -based brake fluid will surely realise a suitable product. I expect that Loctite 406 would be ideal.

Go to:

www.loctite.com

and browse. There is a contact field too.

RT.