Door Shut Sound Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Door Shut Sound « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2017 - 10:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I drove a pristine one-owner Silver Shadow today with only 12,000 miles. The doors shut like a "vault" without the clanking noise I hear on every Shadow I have seen. What can be done to make my doors shut like this? Seem like I remember there is a worn rubber piece in the lock mechanism???

Richard
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Prolific User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2017 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The typical 'click clack' door sound is from stiff/heavy duty springs and chunky mechanical linkages within the latch.
Compare this with the (mine anyway) trunk lid, which just makes a 'thwump' of the seals compressing, with nary a hint of any latching mechanism.

There are 2 things happening which make noise when you shut the door; the seals making contact and compressing, and the latch, latching. My 135k mile Shadow's doors go 'click clack', but I know my doors seals are not the best, so the 'seal noise' is much less, making the 'latch noise' louder in comparison.

New/tight door seals will make the door sound like it's heavier, as the tighter contact of the new seals will dampen the tinnier frequencies.

My last daily driver was a 1999 Fairlane, on which I rebuilt the door mechanisms and fine-tuned them so their action was imperceptible. The doors shut like a vault with a heavy 'thwump' sound only, not mechanical sound of it latching. Pulling the handle to open was an even spring pressure; no increased load then a sudden release as the latch opened. That was satisfying, but felt almost remote and completely non-mechanical.

I kind of like the heavy sound and feel of the Shadow mechs; reminds me of the heavy duty design.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: