Differential torque lever. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Differential torque lever. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2017 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I read many posts and articles about the failure of the front mounting of the diff torque arm, which can cause catastrophic damage. I inspected all the bits I could, and concluded that my 'T' SBH10630 had a later mechanism so didn't suffer the potential failure. True, but it fails in a similar manner.

While slowing on over-run at a junction a grinding noise came from the rear end which sounded serious. Had a look, nothing seen, decide to drive home a couple of miles, but carefully. Found the noise only came during throttle up, so used brakes to slow down while keeping a tiny bit of power on.

Noise was caused by prop-shaft rubbing on anti-roll bar (sway bar) because the subframe end of the mounting for the double rubber doughnut attachment at the front of the torque lever was fractured. A temporary bodge made from a VERY thick coat-hanger and some dense foam got the car to my expert welder friend. He put his head up inside the subframe and the bracket is now double-strength.

Is this a common occurance - I have seen no mention anywhere?

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2017 - 03:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Common for the rubber doughnut to get excess wear with movement causing stress on the front torque arm mounting after time.
Thought I put a posting up years ago on this.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2017 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had the SS1 car in for repairs so I took a pix of the front torque rubber mount under compression showing the clearance.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2017 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PL wrote:- Common for the rubber doughnut to get excess wear with movement causing stress on the front torque arm mounting after time.

Patrick, while it was out of the car the "double-doughnut" seemed to be in excellent condition. I suppose that if the car is driven gently (that's me) it would rarely be stressed, but something caused the (fatigue fracture ???) of the mounting. It had been welded before.

I couldn't find an earlier posting. Perhaps it's in the archived group - I will look.

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Monday, 28 August, 2017 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan just a thought, are the rear cross member mounts ok, these are the ones that look like brillo pad material.

When worn the whole rear suspension has excess movement.
Shows up if the idle speed is high with the selection of drive or reverse.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: