Front Centre Console Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Front Centre Console « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great recollections here gents.

Some good ones, some not so good.

Mark,
Did you also notice the cup holders in the open glove box lid as well?

Mark Luft
New User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 01:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Patrick, I missed that. Very well thought out I'd say. It bothers me that our SZ's do not have a cup holder up front. So I had one made and put in place of the ash receptacle.

cup holder

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 955
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 07:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a top job Mark.
Very nicely done.
It looks factory mate.

My car has the dumb centre console with the rear hinged flp that can lift up an lay flat on things, but I have never understood what/how it is used. We just have a tissue box in there that allows 2 large takeaway cups to sit securely in front of it.
I wish I knew someone that could do some timber work in this area to make it useful.
Here is the offending area

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I am trying to visualize what you mean by "rear hinged flp that can lift up an lay flat on things". There is no such cover on my central console. It is just an open area to store the now defunct 8 track cartridges. Could you enlighten me. I am curious as to whether my car is missing the cover.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 693
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff my console hasn't got a hinged lid either, but it does have a place to drop the original radio into and that radio is still in the car, It isn't wired in but it does look good.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 960
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.
The vertice radio seems to have come in 1974, about the same time as they lost the boot (trunk) lid mounted reverse lights.

Images of my console to follow

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 13:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard and Patrick

Thanks for the info. I always check on these details to see what should and should not be present on my 74 SY1 (18501). The most recent thing that came to light was my car was missing the rubber support grommets for the bonnet (now fitted). I also discovered that my car has the Jaguar XJ6 door mirrors fitted.

My car does not have the radio in place as on Richard's car, although there is a place for it just behind the ashtray. This has a simple cover which is not present on Patrick's slightly earlier car. Interesting how these cars slowly evolved.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.

Here is my console.

The screw holes are from a very early car phone kit, where the handpiece adaptor screwed to the front just behind the ashtray, and the car kit & amp was under this console lid where the tissues are.

The below image was taken from the back seat between the two front seats showing the "expander" that allows the lid to fifth up and cover bulky objects.

I would just like to know what was here in the first place and if anything is missing from this set up.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On my car SRH1405 this is referred to as "An Occasional Seat/Stowage Compartment"
This enables three passengers to be accommodated in front, as well as a covered receptacle for small articles.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My mistake.
The stowage compartment is only accessible when the flap is down. So it's not covered.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 962
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info John.

How does one make it into a seat?
Was there an insert under it or something?

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Patrick.
You lift it up, then move it forward and the front sits on a horizontal cross piece.
I must admit I would not want to be the third passenger.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 963
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 21:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

I will check that out.
However what keeps the back up?

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So the padded center in the Silver Shadow sits crossway - perhaps suitable for a child for a short trip? Does anyone have a photo of the arrangement? I've injured my back and am temporarily unable to go check for myself.

Oh, and perhaps David would be so kind as to separate out these off-topic posts about the 'Silver Shadow center console' from those about the Vanden Plas Princess, which I see went for about USD$4500.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
Here is a photo of the centre seat. It is not all that useful as the main seats would have to be lowered to get a level surface. Without seat belts it is also unlawful.

Centre Seat

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely leather John. Is it original or reupholstered?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 - 10:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's what I was thinking - beautiful

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry and Geoff,
SRH1405 is a 1966 model.
It was re-upholstered in 1993 using Connolly Leather by McMillan Prestige Car Repairs P/L in Sydney who are unfortunately no longer in business.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 967
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stunning John,

Can you post some more images of your car inside & out on the "images of our cars" post please?

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,
It's already there.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My apologies John,

What a magnificent example of a Shadow.

That interior is stunning.

Your a lucky guy.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I spent many hours on the occasional seat as a child.

Luckily cars didn't crash in those days so it was perfectly safe and I am the proof of it.

Great place for seeing where you wee going and 'siting up' targets between the wings up front :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 972
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 15:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How's your bum these days Paul?

Not much of a seat mate.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I seem to remember having a cushion in those days. . .probably got enough of my own padding these days.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 973
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 18:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Same here mate.

LOVE your seats.

I love my factory original, but if those people were still going, I would make the jump no prob.

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

cupholder

Hey Patrick, I saw this on another forum and thought of you and your Shadow.
Good Luck
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now that is an interesting idea Mark.

Thanks for sharing.

However they don't look big enough to hold Corona bottles??

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 11:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Remember before drinking its best to pull over to the inside lane.

i don't have cup holders but have a centre console which reaches the back seat, DIY black leather with grey insert. This is handy for clutter, small tools and CDs. its not screwed down but a tight fit instead

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love your leather seats John - mine are the same colour- wished they looked the same.
Patrick, what do you use to bring your wood and black vinyl centre console up so well? - looks fantastic

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 980
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick.

Thanks for your kind words mate.

I use a product called Mr Sheen.
I've mentioned it a few times here, it is an old fashioned furniture polish my dad used on his cars since the 60's.
Also what I like is that it is under $5.00 a can

I use this on the exterior paintwork and all stainless steel & chrome, the interior wood and dash.

Inside I spray it onto a microfiber cloth, and then polish, I don't spray it directly onto the surface.

Outside, spray it like crazy all over the paint and it is very easy to polish off to a very high shine.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick R. I didn't realize that you use Mr Sheen on the paint, wow this is something I need to try. I have some quite expensive polishes here which I used to use on the Torana but they do take a bit of work especially when layering (I used to regularly apply 7 layers on the Torana) All taking time and effort. So guess who is going to buy a can of Mr Sheen lol

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 982
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 09:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

If the paint is in good condition and relatively shiny it will bring it up a treat.

Here is a shot taken last weekend in the 40 degree heat of my local K Mart car park.
I had just done the Mr Sheen 1 hour before.
It takes all of 10 minutes to do the outside of the car.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 16:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I was wondering what the catch was in using Mr Sheen furniture polish on car paintwork and after a few google searches found out why it is not widely recommended. It's because furniture polish contains silicone which plays havoc if the car needs future bodywork repairs. Apparently wet paint will not adhere if silicone is present. This is the reason auto paint polishes never contain silicone.

However, I do not think this is a reason for not using furniture polish. In my opinion the key to this is to be aware of the potential problem and if one's car ever needs to go into a body shop that they are informed the car has been polished with a silicone wax. I suspect the procedure would be for them use a strong de-greaser before carrying out any paint repairs.

I find the idea of using Mr Sheen on my car far more attractive, now that I know the pitfalls.

All the comments I have read from other sources were favorable in terms of the level of shine on the paintwork, as demonstrated by Patrick's car.

I think I may well be paying a visit to the local furniture store this summer.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 18:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am off to the supermarket to buy some Mr Sheen........

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 991
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff.

Yes, the positives do out weigh the negatives.

I'd rather enjoy the shine, and do some extra work if ever I need to do any repairs, than not have the shine & the easy job polishing waiting for something that may never happen.

Omar,
I will gladly send you some Mr Sheen mate.

It may go a little way to repay you for my hydraulic reservoir plate you sent me.

Geoff,
I can send you some as well if you can't find any.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI Patrick, You have yet to meet me and when you do you will see why these days I am looking for an easier ways to do things like polishing etc.
I have a weight problem and a few medical conditions to go along with it.
The wife had a can of furniture polish, its not Mr Sheen but it's a very similar product sold at Coles stores. If I feel up to it I might to do some testing tomorrow. Polishing a car in 10 mins would be a godsend to me. My car does have some swirl marks and a couple of new surface scratches which I wont go into but suffice to say they were not caused by me. If needs be (and I expect I will need to) I can do a bit of paint correction first especially on the two new scratches. My energy levels are very low these days partly due to working with asbestos when I left school.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 22:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

you are too kind Patrick.
We have the stuff in supermarkets here and its cheap too.

You are a generous man.
All the best
Omar

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr.Sheen?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 00:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Thank you for your kind offer. I have however found suppliers on ebay and Amazon so do not need to trouble you with this.

Incidentally - the first supplier I googled, on Amazon, was asking $68.45. What a joke. I cannot believe anyone would buy from this place. Most other sellers were priced below $10.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 994
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.

Don't pay rediculous prices on the net.

I can get some today, and ship them to you Monday.

Just PM me your address Geoff and it will be on its way.

Omar,
I already have a shipping address for you if the supermarket is out of stock.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 998
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

That is terrible news about the scratches.

Mate,
Get your scratches fixed, and I will come and give your car a going over with the Mr Sheen.

Don't use it before the scratches are fixed, as Geoff rightly mentions due to the silicone.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was putting in a new stereo this morning and remembered this thread.

When I first got the RR I removed the ashtray which was in 3.5cm x maybe 14cm slot and made a wood piece that fit snugly. I then attached a board across the top and screwed in some cans.

It basically defines "rude" but it holds two liter sized iced coffees in summer.

Most of my cars are from before the days of cup holders so I always find a reversible way to attach hominy grits cans. The only one with a non reversible install is the falcon because I was in a rush, I just screwed the can into the tunnel with tek screws.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are the go to guy, and an engineering genius mate.

You need to be in charge of the "there I fixed it" web site.

I hope you sealed the screws in case the coffee cups has a blow out??

For those of you who have not seen the "there I fixed it" web site, grab a coffee & get ready for a few laughs.

Here is a few examples
http://bowshrine.com/there-i-fixed-it-when-diy-goes-terribly-wrong/2/

http://www.lifebuzz.com/car-fails/

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 08:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys. In the next half hour I am heading to the shops and on the list is to purchase a can of Mr Sheen.
I tried the Coles furniture polish which we had at home but I wasn't happy with a test patch I did on Benny. It will be interesting to see if Mr Sheen works better.

Patrick it seems you have the polishing down to a fine art both in time and with results. Nice work mate.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Please see my post "The Mr Sheen Effect"

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Just to mention if your paint is dull and rough, Mr Sheen will not restore it.
You will need to give it a bit of a light cut and polish first.

Mr Sheen will easily then keep it that way.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick I will be trying a sample patch of the Mr Sheen today. The paint is I believe for the most part as it came from the factory and of course that means it's old, tired and quite thin. If I could afford it I would definitely have a full respray done but that's not going to happen in my lifetime unless I win the Lottery and my chances there are slim as I rarely buy tickets. (Oh it's a cruel world we live in) lol

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, 31 July, 2017 - 13:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Updated cup holders

After a little work with the DiNoc

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Monday, 31 July, 2017 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are the best cup holders ever Ross.

Well done.

You should market them.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, 31 July, 2017 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spot on.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, 31 July, 2017 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want to know what Hominy is....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Tuesday, 01 August, 2017 - 02:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yummy:
http://teasdalefoods.com/#

Uncle Tone
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 120.148.144.8
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to disturb, but has anyone ever fitted a Bentley Turbo R centre console to a Shadow 2?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: