Steering wheel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Steering wheel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am looking to replace my non original steering wheel with a moto lita or similar.
My question is, what was the size of the original steering wheel, and are steering wheel measurements the outside measurement, or rim centre to rim centre?
Conflicting information on the web.
Ta

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

About 390mm and no clue if that's OD, ID, or dead center of the rim. Suspect it's OD. 360 works nicely if you're on the fat side of things and the present rim touches . . . not that I would know ;>)

By the way, there's an existing thread on this topic where you may glean further info.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 05:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I guess I must respond to myself since the time frame during which I can edit my post has passed. Here's the link where we've been discussing steering wheels - it's in the General instead of the Silver Shadow section.

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/22279.html?1483913078

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

File this under better late than never - My stock '76 Shadow wheel is 16" or 406mm measured on the outside diameter.
I also have a later Spirit wheel that is 15 3/4" or 400mm OD.
Kelly

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2017 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After a lot of messing around, I have come to the conclusion that the ideal steering wheel for my Shadow 1 is 13"-14", semi dished, 3 spoke, T shaped rather than Y shaped so that all instruments are visible, the wheel looks sporty, my fat stomach fits behind it, looks better and sportier than the original, and finally gives a better feel considering the power steering on the Shadow 1.
Design and colour is a personal choice.
Hope this helps a future lost soul.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: