Silver Shadow II steering rack question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Silver Shadow II steering rack question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Grieve
Experienced User
Username: john116

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 21:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just noticed on my Silver Shadow II, that when the steering wheel/wheels are in the straight ahead position, the steering rack (excuse my non-technical explanation) is off to one side. One of the rubber convoluted boots is more stretched out than the other. Is this the way it should be? I would have thought in the straight ahead position the steering rack should also be central.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

I think yours is "as per usual." However I currently have SRH33576 up on ramps and can take a photo tomorrow (daylight's gone at the moment).

Also have a look at the article entitled, Racking Your Brains, by Richard Treacy, paying particular attention to the diagram on the 4th page which suggests that one boot will be slightly more extended than the other.

Brian

John Grieve
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 16:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian - many thanks, a picture if you can get one for me would be much appreciated.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 20:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John...
The illustrations in the fantastic article referenced by Brian...thanks to RT!!...notably the one on page 4789 with give you a flavor of what's going on and how the "bellows" on one end is slightly more elongated than the other.
Christian

John Grieve
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2016 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Here it is:

SRH33576 Steering Rack - Wheels Straight Ahead

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2016 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Notice in Brian's photo that inner track rod adjustment is about equal both sides with a goodly portion on threads screwed in.

My car has a steering box. Brian's car looks nice and grubby which protects the chassis bits from corrosion. Same as mine.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2016 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, my car is definitely "grubby" as far as greased points and old (now mostly resolved) valve cover oil leaks go. This "slick" has definitely served a preservative function. The exhaust shows what mild steel, moisture, and heat always result in: rust.

My cars are not garage queens by any measure and, like any other car, I expect them to show the signs of having lived a life having performed their intended function.

Brian

John Grieve
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2016 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for the picture. Will compare it to my car shortly. In terms of 'grubby' cars. For me that's how they're supposed to be. Well maintained, can still have the usual look of a car that is used. They're inherently dirty things for many reasons, and to pretend that even a Rolls Royce stayed pristine forever is just fantasy! Also, as you and others have pointed out, it's good for corrosion protection.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: