Brake pedal counts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Brake pedal counts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, 04 September, 2017 - 20:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone advise the number of pedal pumps to expect on new spheres on both a Shadow and a Spirit.
Thanks
Mark

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, 04 September, 2017 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My shadow 1 has one light come on after 30ish and the other after 50ish

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, 04 September, 2017 - 21:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,
I did a complete hydraulic rebuild on my Shadow 2 , including new spheres and valve bodies seven years ago. I did a pump test last week and obtained 150 and 70 pumps respectively. From my service records, I obtained 100+ pumps on both circuits when the new spheres were first fitted.
Kind regards,
Chris

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, 04 September, 2017 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
Just for information, the factory manual says that 50 to 60 pumps should be enough to depressurise the systems and put the warning lights on, in a healthy system. Whether or not it is just luck, I don't know, but both the systems on my car have always needed far more pumps to illuminate the warning lights.
Chris

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, 05 September, 2017 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

MY Shadow 11 takes about 60 pedal presses for the No.2 system warning lamp to illuminate and approx. 100 presses for the No.1 warning lamp. I think I've a slight internal leak in a rear height control valve which would explain the quicker loss of pressure in the No.2 system. If the engine is not started for a couple of weeks the No.1 lamp usually doesn't illuminate when turning the ignition on but the No.2 lamp invariably lights when the car has been laid up for only a few hours. I put that down to the internal HCV leak which I don't regard as a problem worth fixing at the moment. What I'm saying is that the loss of pressure isn't always down to a weak accumulator sphere as there are many valves that could be contributing towards the pressure loss and the only way of narrowing it down is by doing a pressure test with a pressure gauge on each individual component and making comparisons.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 04:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, I conclude that all of my cars are due accumulators ! I am getting around 25 pumps on each circuit and each car, so they are all pretty tired. For the Shadow, any preference between original reconditioned or FS new ?
Mark.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark fitted new sphere kits to mine years ago not a difficult job to do with the use of a four jaw chuck in the lathe.
I added ball bearings instead of the plastic sealing ones under the charging valve cap.
Getting 95 pumps on circuit 1 and 78 on circuit two.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark, I've been using one of the Flying Spares disposable spheres for the past couple of years with no complaints. I've held onto my original ones though just in case the disposable version goes off the market.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Wednesday, 06 September, 2017 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

90 pumps no 1

70 pumps no 2

rear suspension in working order.

SRH 17668 1974.

Spheres replaced in 1994.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2017 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, I did a "Paul Yorke " type test on a gradual incline with the Shadow, and achieved 89 stops. Will try the same test with the mulsanne and the Bentley8.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 03:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

What is the "Paul Yorke" type test. Sounds like you need quite a long gradual incline to fit in 89 stops. What happens if you only get 10 stops. Where does the 11th stop come from - lol.

I'm assuming you let the car roll in neutral - does this not damage the auto gearbox?

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 04:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"What happens if you only get 10 stops. Where does the 11th stop come from - lol"

Geoff, the hand brake will pull you up provided it is in good serviceable condition.

No damage to gearbox in neutral with a slow speed.
IMO I would start the engine once braking ceased, brakes should start to work immediately even with failing nitrogen.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, very gentle slope, and just let car move VERY LITTLE( literally inches) , before stopping it. keep repeating until brakes fail, very close to kirb, no cars or obstacles about. WHEN BRAKES FAIL APPLY HANDBRAKE AND TURN CAR INTO KERB TO STOP IT.
I DONT RECOMMEND IT.However, it was an interesting excercise !
I think Paul used a similar test to show the importance of accumulators if I remember a previous post correctly.
Mark}

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 05:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark and Patrick

Thanks for your replies. I was kinda playing devil's advocate. It is an interesting test to carry out in controlled conditions. I've often wondered how much braking effect comes from the master cylinder brake circuit on the "series 1" cars. I will have to try it sometime, along with the Paul Yorke test.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My jeep has a vacuum servo.
2 pumps and no brakes -- very very very heavy.
hand brake good. drums to the rear.

So 10 pumps is maybe ok.

tow car up hill at 2 mph.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: