Coolant advice needed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Coolant advice needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Experienced User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 27 February, 2010 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am about to change the coolant and thermostat on SRH 19305 and have to admit at being perplexed by the variety of coolants on offer at retailers here in Sydney.

Can someone please offer me simple advice on which one would best suit the 75 Shadow.

Thanks in anticipation

Kevin

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, 27 February, 2010 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin

This is a much discussed topic in these forums, covering all our vintages of cars.

Richard is asleep at the moment, but you can expect the definitive answer once he sees your question.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, 28 February, 2010 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,
The simple answer is that the preferred coolant for your car is a standard ethylene glycol based antifreeze coolant concentrate (available in all auto shops) diluted with an equal quantity of water.

This type of coolant is green in colour.

Dilute it before filling the radiator.

Chris M Browne
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 91.107.195.59
Posted on Saturday, 27 February, 2010 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin,
Yes I, too, was facing the same dilemma. There are already many posts on this forum about this very subject. I am yet to flush and refill the cooling system on my Shadow 2 (SRH37131) but have narrowed the options down to two possibilities. Bentley do their own, which is available from the dealerships at £21.75 inc. tax in the UK and the part number is UE70936L5. Bluecol also make a suitable antifreeze which is called simply Bluecol 2 year antifreeze.These are the only two I have felt comfortable with after reading horror stories of owners using modern antifreezes which caused all the seals in the cooling system to fail after a relatively short time. Just out of interest, my handbook specifies Prestone antifreeze as the only original option. I went to a lot of trouble to source 10 litres of Prestone only to find that the formula had been changed and it is now no longer suitable for older aluminium engines. Fortunately, I realised this before I put it in the car!
Kind regards,

Chris Browne

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 28 February, 2010 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin ,Having read all of the horror stories I will not use anything other than the Bentley product.Seems cheap when compared to the possible damage cost ,in the UK.
Mark

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, 01 March, 2010 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin. Check out Penrite's options. Penrite is a reputable Australian lubricant company and the products are available everywhere.

http://www.penriteoil.net/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?art_id=188&nav_cat_id=135&nav_top_id=55