Practical Wiring on Late Shaodw Winds... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Practical Wiring on Late Shaodw Windscreen Wipers. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 396
Posted on Saturday, 06 April, 2013 - 22:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If anybody is under their bonnet in the nearish future and has the Lucas 16W wiper motor with the two switches/plugs attached to the motor - the one nearest the windscreen having 5 wires and the one nearest the radiator having three.

The wiring diagrams:I have pored and puzzled over them all for years.

I've searched them for every car from 6000 up to the end of the Shadow II - many, many times.

There is no Practical Wiring Diagram to the setup with 2 switches - except a tantalising mention of '2 switch motors' in section M without further enlightenment.

What Practical Diagrams do exist don't reference the second switch and the wiring colours are different in part. The Schematics don't help when you're fitting new connectors into a plug.

My request is for somebody to record the pin-outs and wiring colours for each plug:

Plug one is like this
. _ _
I _ _

& plug 2
. _ _
I

I have replaced both controllers with both reconditioned and new, replaced both switches with new and have tried 2 different dash switches, am on my second wiper motor in five years and have spent enough for my auto-electrician to retire on and all to no avail.

The intermittent will not work. It just operates as slow.

In the process of fiddling around I have lost sequence in replacing wires into the plugs and am now hopelessly confused.

I dread to think what that wisp of smoke from the new intermittent controller under the dash means...possibly another UK300.

Nothing on this car in 5 years has driven me to distraction like this wiper motor has.

Help (please)

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeffrey
19606 has it's wiring so;

Plug one. -orange -black
|yellow(poss green trace)
-yellow -red

plug two. -green -large cloth pale

|yellowgreen plastic

Hope that makes sense

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 397
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 08:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Carl,

I'll take the photos down to the shed on the laptop and check. The next task is to test all the connections on that mind-boggling dash switch!

I'm doing a photo essay on the whole system which I'll post if I ever get time off from working on it.

p.s I can't believe I let that typo through in the thread title - I must have been more distracted last night than I thought ...

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 11:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SUCCESS !!

For the first time since I bought the car the system is working as it should.

After fixing all the loose electrical connections, which were making the wiper intermittent when it wasn't told to be and then regreasing ...

The problem turned out to be the little platic cam bump on the underside of the cog wheel: when I rebuilt the motor several years ago I'd replaced this with a new, and I thought, correct 120 degree one - but it didn't have the cam, so the second switch wasn't being 'bumped' when it should.

I've taken extensive photos of stripping down, testing and rebuilding the whole motor. I'll write it up into an essay later and contact the moderators about the best place to document it - here or elsewhere. It's very large but if it can spare anyone the grief and money I've spent it might be useful.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 12:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey

Delighted to hear you have finally succeeded. I'd be interested to see your document. Current state of play with my wipers is that I cannot get the fast speed or park functions. Normal speed, Wash/wipe and intermittent work ok. I am legal, but want to get full functionality, particularly the park function.

Here's a question. What type of grease did you use to re-pack your motor gearbox and cable. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic but am not at all sure this is the correct grease to use.

Regards - Geoff.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll get onto it soon then Geoff and email you a copy. I just use grease I bought at autobarn in a tube - as long as it's the thick stuff that doesn't run it should be okay.

There are other things to use when you take the motor apart like lithium or bike chain grease on the springs. This is after degreasing them but I'll explain that in the essay.

Having done everything, I think the easiest first thing to try is the 2 plugs that go into the wiper.

Buy a can of electrical clean and grease at Jaycar. Spray into the plug from the outside then jiggle wires to see if they are loose on the pins. If they are you either replace the connector or just give it a gentle squeeze with little pliers. If you remove the connectors from the plug using a flat little jewellers screwdriver to lift the tab you can test them on the pins individually. Don't forget to label each one's position !! ;-)

Clean the pins with fine sandpaper and electrical grease while you're at it and check that they all sit straight.

The last sparky who looked at mine used a cable tie to keep the loom from vibrating and that helped enormously.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2013 - 14:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey

I look forward to receiving your document. Please do not feel you have to rush as I can schedule my second attempt at restoring the wipers in a month or two's time. I have plenty to be going on with.

When I removed the wiper motor a couple of weeks ago it was to re-grease it, free off the wheelbox's and reset the parking switch. I also carefully cleaned all the connections, but in view of what you have written I will check them again, just in case. I guess I was hoping for a simple solution on my first attempt. I now have a working wiper/washer system on my car, albeit not fully functional, and am just enjoying using the car at the moment. The next attempt will be the detailed checking of the electrics which will involve removing the dash panel to access the switch and controllers. I would really like to get the park mechanism working. I once owned a Jaguar XK150 and the wipers had a delightful operation where they would stop and then reverse into the parked position. I assume this is the same on the Rolls.

I think a detailed article on the wipers would be a really useful addition to the technical library. If I can help in any way please let me know.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2013 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey,

I suggest sending it to Bill Coburn for publication in Tee-One Topics.

This will reach those who are most likely to appreciate and benefit from your work.