Chippy dash, 6.75 and 3 speed. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Chippy dash, 6.75 and 3 speed. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Curtis
Frequent User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2017 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was thinking, for me, there's a sweet spot in Shadows, there must be a few Chippendale dash, 6.75ltr and 3speed auto cars. They won't have the lovely chrome interior door furniture of the very early cars. But all things considered, a real sweet spot.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ben,

I cant say I have seen one of those.

Would be a very interesting car, that's for sure.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If by Chippy dash you mean sans padded knee at the bottom, then no, I don't believe so because my 1969 has the 6.25L engine and no chippy dash. It is, however, a 3-speed. What I wonder is, however, whether the engine block changed transmission bolt patterns because I'd much rather have the 4-speed overdrive of later cars, which I suspect are based on the 700R4 version of the venerable Turbo-Hydramatic transmission. The question is, is it a bolt up in which case I also need the new style shifter, or do the shifters stay the same and give up a means of slipping them into 1st gear? Does anyone know for sure? I wonder because I can speculate and create hot air all by myself.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

I'm pretty sure a 4 speed overdrive transmission never lobbed into the cars until the 1991 Silver Spirit II. It was a GM 4L80-E

This included a 4th gear overdrive ratio of 0.75

It would also have been electronically controlled by a PCM or TCM, working hand in hand with the ECM or ECU.

Ben Curtis
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting. I thought this was a chippendale dash,3 speed 6.75, but I now think I'm wrong and is a 6.25.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 21:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Need a chassis number Ben.
Early cars with 6.25 that were not domestic did have early examples of the TH400.
Weather they were early enough to still have the Chippendale dashes, is a matter for the chassis number gurus.

I also read that if you wanted to order a Chippendale dash after they were superseded, they would build you one.
Can't say I've seen one though.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have always been under the impression all LHD Shadows exported to the USA were fitted with the 3 speed T400 auto and RRMC used up their stock of 4 speed Hydramatics on UK Shadows and those delivered to the colonies and only installed the T400's once there were no more Hydramatics.

As always, I will appreciate confirmation/correction if necessary.

Ben Curtis
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It seems I failed to add a link earlier.

Here's the car I thought was 6.75/3sp/chip dash.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C664532

I was wrong, online enquiry shows its 6.25.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I understand it wasn't so much as to the supply of the older 4 speeds, but it had something to do with a law/regulation/requirement that stated English cars needed to have English made transmissions.
The loophole allowed the non domestic cars to have the American made boxes fitted.

This regulation was dropped at some stage allowing all Shadows to have the GM box.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben,
It's like the old WWI paint they used to camouflage ships against U Boats.

The graphics really alter the shape of the underlying vehicle.

Check out Titanic's sister Olympic in her war paint in WWI
Just scroll towards the bottom of the link to see the pics.
It's a good read as well.
http://www.ssmaritime.com/RMS-Olympic.htm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: