Olive Jar Vacuum Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Olive Jar Vacuum « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2014 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I needed to empty the brake fluid reservoir on the '66, and I didn't want to waste a turkey baster, so I came up with this. The pictures are self-explanatory, except for the yellow cap, which is just sheer genius. That yellow cap, which just happens to fit the shop vac perfectly, is a spray paint cap! This thing works really well, and can be used as a vacuum brake bleeder, among other things. As a bonus, if you move the yellow cap from "vacuuming" to "blowing" and hold it in place, then you can empty the olive jar as quickly as you can fill it!

Impound Canister

Olive Jar Plumbing

Yellow Cap Brilliance

As I say, I think the pictures are self explanatory, but please post any question.

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.77
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2014 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a 1 gallon glass flagon.I use it also for sucking radiators to fit anti freeze and rear axle etc etc

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2014 - 11:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Safety Alert,

I would be extremely reluctant to pressurise a glass jar when emptying as suggested above due to the consequences of explosive failure of a brittle glass container that has not been made to a specification or tested to comply with a pressure vessel standard. The explosion would eject shards of glass capable of inflicting injury or even death if the shards cut a major artery of a person nearby. Enclosing the glass container in a suitable metal mesh cage to contain any fragments could be worth considering, any compressed gas contains stored energy even at low pressures.

The use of a jar for a vacuum receiver is less problematic as the mode of failure would be implosion with little or no ejection of glass shards. However, I would be far happier using a ductile metal/plastic container that will crumple rather than shatter once its safe working stress is exceeded.

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, 22 July, 2014 - 12:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

I'd have used my gallon jug, but I didn't want to drink all my moonshine in one go...

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave

I never thought of that.

I have used the Health and safety mantra on this site many times
And you are 100 % right
One has to be ever vigilant, working on cars has risks.

My jar had cider in it under slight pressure I made a wooden box for it. For a different reason. To stop it being hit by something.

I am going to fit a vacuum bleed to it. So that I can lower the vacuum

Especially in light on the vacuum bleeding and.sucking air through seals discussion.

2 birds killed with one stone.

Using a wet vac to suck out water for Antifreeze renewal is very quick.
And somehow good fun. Noise slurping and the vac pipe wriggles about.

David Gore

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

I experienced the exploding bottle problem many years ago when I used to brew home-made ginger beer; too much sugar added before bottling meant a box full of broken bottles 24 hours after bottling. Of course the crown seals were self-protecting and remained in place whist the bottles disintegrated instead of lifting and allowing the excess pressure to be relieved.

The problem disappeared when I waited 24 hours after adding the final sugar to the brew before bottling and applying the crown seals. Nothing like a cold home brew ginger beer on a hot day.....

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
can you please PM me the recipe? sounds like a fun drink......

Omar

David Gore

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

I will post the recipe in the General Discussion section as I think there might be a few others interested as well.

It is a very refreshing drink especially in a hot dry climate

Regards
David

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 564
Posted on Thursday, 24 July, 2014 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although useless for vacuum use, I've found that empty 2 litre plastic pop bottles or 3 litre cider bottles will hold as much pressure as fermenting cider can produce. That's 'in-the-bottle' secondary fermentation to give it a head only. This should be obvious as that's what they're designed to do.
The only problem I've encountered is that the cider will produce so many bubbles that the yeast lees will start to lift off the bottom and add a less than desirable flavour to the cider. Now I just pour the whole lot into a 5 gallon pressure bottle and tap off what I need when I need it.

Ps. I've been looking for a good ginger beer recipe for a while, so I'll be delving back into that black art in a week or two. However I will be using a good wine yeast with the aim of hitting around the 8% ABV level.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those plastic bottles are surprisingly strong.

I gaffer taped one upright to an air line.
It went quite high at 50 so in true let's ramp it uptradition 125psi and it went up very high and went football shaped.