Can you fit a Dual SU Fuel Pump to a ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Can you fit a Dual SU Fuel Pump to a car originally fitted with a Pierburg? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2016 - 14:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Before anyone gets exercised I am not planning to do this, at least not in the foreseeable future, but it is a question driven by curiosity.

It would seem that the flow rate is more than adequate using a dual SU, but it's also true that dual SUs get frequent, if brief, resting periods when the floats close off fuel input to the carbs. I'm wondering if they are actually designed for any application where continuous pumping is expected?

It would seem that there must have been a system design driven reason for using a rotary vane pump in the cars that have them, but I have no definitive information on that, just what my gut and my head both tell me.

Is it possible, or desirable, to ever replace a dead Pierburg with a dual SU or is it better to go with another rotary vane pump with a flow rate very similar to the original Pierburg?

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2016 - 14:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The peanut gallery wonders if it might have to do not with flow rate, but ability to maintain a constant pressure for fuel injected systems?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2016 - 15:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

To my knowledge, the Pierburg was never used on any of the fuel injected (FI) cars. I think all of those had the Bosch pumps.

I'm not sure a rotary vane pump [in the size range that can be fitted to cars] could maintain the kinds of pressures used in FI.

I'm sure someone will correct me if either one of those things is incorrect.

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2016 - 17:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian...
I had no knowledge whatsoever of the Peirburg and confused it with, yes, the Bosch on fuel injected systems. I should have known that you were way ahead of that idea. Accordingly, I will retire back to the Gallery and have a (another?) beer as consolation. Lost count.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2016 - 17:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, yes and no.

No because the SU will wear out too quickly without those resting periods.

Yes if you block off the fuel return hose.

They switched to a recirculating fuel system to reduce the problem of fuel vaporisation.

So if you only use the car in cold weather and block the return you should be fine with an SU.

Whether an electronic SU pump and a vastly reduced orifice in the return line would work I'm not sure.

One mod on the very first Spirits was to widen the return restrictor very slightly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: