Silver Shadiow V-8 Engine Finish Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadiow V-8 Engine Finish « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, 26 March, 2014 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, were the aluminum parts of the engines painted on the exterior? In cleaning the cam cover of my Car, I thought I was cleaning 44 years of gunk and dried brake fluid off, but it began to appear as if I were stripping grey paint with the admittedly powerful cleaning solvent I was using.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, 26 March, 2014 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

be very carefull about the cleaning agent you are using. Aluminium reacts with most engine cleaners/solvents and this can leave white residue which you will not be able to get off.

Benoit

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, 26 March, 2014 - 06:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most degreasing products are very alkaline to break down the grease however these compounds readily attack Aluminium and should not be used on white metal components. The best degreaser for aluminium and zinc alloys is a spray of kerosine [paraffin] which is allowed to remain on the surfaces for 10/15 minutes followed by a rinse with an automotive car wash detergent/water solution. Repeat if deposits are particularly heavy/adherent.

If you have used alkaline degreasers with the inevitable white residue outcome, this residue can be largely disguised with a spray of WD40/Inox at regular intervals.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, 26 March, 2014 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Never fear, no white alkaline deposits present. I assume the answer is "No, the engines' aluminium surfaces are not painted".

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Wednesday, 26 March, 2014 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They were anodised and lacquered.

Once that is removed , over the next few months the white powder will appear.

Use a clear engine lacquer on it now before it has time to corrode.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, 26 March, 2014 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you, Paul. That is what I will do. I wondered why I never see Rolls-Royce V-8s with white corrosion on the aluminum parts, as one sees it on almost every modern engine after only a short time in service.