Crashed Shadow 2 : parts needed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Crashed Shadow 2 : parts needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Earlier this evening I was working on my 1979 Shadow 2 : it had developed an annoying squeak when driving over road imperfections, but dissapeared when braking. Also, when driving in reverse and braking, it also squeaked.
I was driving it forwards and backwards on my driveway with my head out of the open door, trying to locate the noise, when disaster struck.
The car lurched forward at full speed and hit the garage wall. I don't know what happened, but I am afraid I pushed the accelerator instead of the brake. Incredibly stupid I know but it happened and I can't turn back the clock.
The garage is very seriously damaged (I had to call the fire brigade who installed support beams to prevent one wall from collapsing).
The car itself proved to be very though, but will still need major surgery.
As my insurance does not cover this kind of damage (the house and the car), I will have to pay for everything out of my own pocket and this is really going to stretch my budget.
At first sight I will need following parts :
1 x LH front wing, including front end
1 x RH front wing, including front end
1 x front valence
1 x complete grille assembly (without mascot)
1 x LH chrome headlamp suround
2 x front indicator/sidelight assemblies
1 x LH front wing chrome strip

If anyone (on the European continent, as I live in Belgium) has good secondhand parts for a reasonable price, I would be very interested.

Regards,

Benoit

Michael Hicks
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

sorry to hear this
if you go on to the UK eBay you will find Good Shells cheap this way when you remove the damaged
and need some other bits you will have them
and cars are cheaper than parts
if i can help let me know
Michael

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 - 10:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh my lordy lord, I think I would have collapsed into a big heap on the floor sobbing uncontrollably if that happened to me. I think I would be inclined to tell the insurance that the wall collapsed and fell on the car, but that's just me.
I feel for you and hope that you can soon get your beloved car back to normal.
I hope the squeak has gone by that time as well or you'll be reluctant to try and find it again.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-ROLLS-ROYCE-SILVER-SHADOW-2-GOOD-FRONT-BUMPER-BREAKING-SPARES-PARTS-/270841275201?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0f65e341

Benoit Leus
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,

the least you could say is that I lost it for a few minutes. Not only about the car, but also because my garage has become a drive-through.

Omar,

thanks for the link. I contacted the seller to see what other parts he has available.

regards,

Benoit

Francois Charlier
Frequent User
Username: vonplum

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 - 19:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,
There is Brabocar near Amsterdam.
May be you can find second parts for your Rolls.

François

Hubert Kelly
New User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit, sorry to hear of your accident.Can I give you a local web site to me(however not on mainland Europe) Rolls Royce Silver Shadows sell reasonably cheap from time to time. (Donedeal.ie) type in "rolls royce " into the search..I know transportation to Belgium wont be cheap. ps love your country I have been to Bruge and Ghent twice.
Wish you well.
HK

Michael Hicks
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, 24 May, 2012 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

have you been on http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/
there are a few lads from your neck of the woods
Michael

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2012 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to hear about your mishap. It's all to easily done. With that kind of extensive damage I would have the front of the chassis/frame checked for correct geometry and alignment. As strong as they are that kind of accident can easily twist them or even dislocate the front subframe and/or engine and gearbox mounts. Also although the radiator may appear undamaged it could have moved backwards enough for it to foul on the fan. You might even find that there's been some damage to the steering rack or steering geometry which could make driving the car at almost any normal speed ... interesting.

When I had my little shunt in Belgium I couldn't see any damage other than a slight dent in the top of the front right hand wing where the paint had cracked and lifted slightly. The German owned Audi came off much worse with the driver's side front door and wing being a total loss! It was only much later that I realised that the whole wing had been moved backwards a few millimetres and it now fouls slightly on the front door enough for the clear laquer coating and half the thickness of the colour coat to be rubbed off.

By the way: I visit Belgium quite regularly - sometimes once a month - for much cheaper booze and baccy. I'm actually going over this evening although on this occasion it will just be a flying visit and I should be back home by tomorrow evening.

Benoit Leus
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2012 - 01:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're right Jan.
Although at first glance the basic structure seems to be okay (I dismantled the wheelarch liners for a better look), my body repair man will come over next week to check the damage and see if I overlooked something. He has more than 25 years experience in the business and I have seen him repair cars (well) that seemed to be beyond redemption.

I was "lucky" enough that I had an encounter with my garage wall. Walls are not that strong as they are meant to support forces from above and not so much a sideways impact. Therefore my doors still open and close whithout any problem.
The radiator is indeed damaged and has moved slightly inwards and fouls the fan.

On the positive side, I am currently locating good used parts, which seems to go rather well.
I was planning to have some bodywork done this winter anyway, so I'll take this opportunity to have the whole body done, incl. a full respray (the insurance company will probably pay for the damage to my garage, so that takes the stress of the financial side somewhat).

regards,

Benoit

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Saturday, 26 May, 2012 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit/ One area to inspect are the two 'horns' that arch over the front axle and provide the support for the front subframe mounts and the mudguards as well as the radiator grille and bumper bar. They are box sectioned and very strong but are designed to 'give' on a frontal impact. If they have been bent they will invariably 'bulge' on their sides which can usually be felt by running your hand along the side of them. They need to be straightened.

Benoit Leus
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, 30 May, 2012 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My body-repair man came over to look at the car. According to him all the panels should be repairable. He much prefers this as cutting of the old wings and welding on new ones will be a lot more work and might not give as good a result.It seems the structure itself has survived the impact without any distortion or damage.

As I had some small issues with the body anyway (a few localised bubbles and some sinking) and the insurance will pay for the damage to the garage, I've opted for a full respray. To stay within budget I will strip the car and sand it myself before and after the primer coat.

The upside to all this is that I'll have a car with immaculate bodywork.

Benoit

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2012 - 05:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hey Benoit - for 99p this is a good buy for you:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120927075408&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123