Door Mirrors SS2 1980 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Door Mirrors SS2 1980 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

PETER DIXON
Frequent User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, 24 April, 2012 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Over a period of years the glass in both my door mirrors has slipped down from their central position. I recently was able to ease one of them out of the body and off the backing plate. It appears that the original fixing method was to use a type of double sided adhesive tape the same size as the glass. It also looks like there has been a previous attempt to secure it with some kind of black rubber cement. Both the tape and cement came off the glass and the backing plate quite cleanly. The backing plate has two small holes, one either side through which two fine wires are threaded. I assume they are part of the movement mechanism and would I think have been stuck to the backing plate by the original tape. I have not been able to find a reference to the mirrors so far and would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction on how to properly replace the glass.

PETER DIXON
Frequent User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2012 - 14:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In case anyone has a similar problem the answer below which may suffice was offered by a Muscle Car Club member.

Use a Liquid Nails type of adhesive that is designed to bond mirrors, metal and glass to repair your mirror. Mirror, metal and glass adhesive comes in a tube for use in a caulking gun. Such glues are available at your local hardware and home improvement stores. The adhesive is waterproof, non-corrosive, heat and steam resistant and permanent.

Repair Procedure
Remove the mirror from your vehicle according to your vehicle's repair manual. The mirror may be screwed on the vehicle or mounted with an adhesive pad that must be freed. Be carefully when removing it. Don't yank the mirror off your car. When removed, place the mirror on a workbench or other flat surface so you can glue the mirror or other parts back on the mirror. The adhesive must be bonded with the mirror within 10 minutes. Spread the adhesive and press the glued parts together for about 10 minutes. Let the mirror set for at least 24 hours before cleaning up any adhesive residue with a razor blade or mineral spirits.

Tips
When using a metal, mirror and glass adhesive, wear gloves and long sleeves. Keep the substance off of your skin. If you do get some adhesive on your skin, rinse it off immediately with soap and water. Try to work quickly and repair the mirror outside or in a well ventilated area. Do not repair the mirror inside a closed space or garage. Also, don't keep repositioning the mirror or other parts---try to get it in the right position the first time. Check the condition of outside rear view mirror the next day to ensure the bonding took correctly. Store the metal, mirror and glass adhesive in a cool and dry environment. Make sure you leave a small amount of the adhesive outside the top of the tube to seal the container.

Cheers
Peter

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2012 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alternatively the ones fitted to some XJ Jaguars are virtually identical and can be obtained quite cheaply. The major difference is that they come with a chromed boss to cover the hole in the door capping, although the exterior metal parts are stainless steel just like the RR/B ones. I paid about GBP10 for a pair last year and am in the process of fitting them - at last!