Replacing Brake Warning Lamp Bulb Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Replacing Brake Warning Lamp Bulb « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, 19 December, 2012 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On SRH9391 I am uncertain in how to proceed, and of course I don't want to damage anything. I have removed the eye vent knobs and the two screws in the corners of the center wood panel.The manual indicates lifting up on the panel to clear the bottom roll pad, then bringing it forward. I can't get the panel to budge. The Factory manual is just not clear enough as to how to proceed, since I am a novice.
Also: I need to know if the bulb is commonly available or made of rareobtanium.
Again, this is because I need to change the lamp bulb for the left brake pressure warning lamp.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, 19 December, 2012 - 11:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,
There are two more vertical screws above the air vents fastening the centre panel to the top roll.
John

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, 19 December, 2012 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, John, I can't see any more screws besides the two which are in the front of the fascia wood, slightly above and to the outside of each air vent.
Does the top roll have to come off? The Factory manual never mentions it.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, 19 December, 2012 - 13:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,
Maybe my car is different but after removing the air knobs and the four screws I can pull the bottom of the panel out and then pull the panel down.

Centre Panel

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, 19 December, 2012 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The wood is also likely to be somewhat stuck to the bottom roll. Cut out a piece of a plastic milk jug, sand the edges smooth, and run it between the dash and the roll.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, 19 December, 2012 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, John,thanks for the photo. My Car is a 1970 which has the second fascia design. I can only find two screws.
Jeff's suggestion also seems to have merit: no doubt it could be stuck after 42 years.
Proceeding with caution,
RR

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, 20 December, 2012 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE: I got the panel out; nothing to it. It tilts out at the top, toward the rear of the Car, then a slight lift and it's away. The wood in this Car is so nice I am afraid to mar it.
The left bulb which will not glow, but the filament seemed good, so I swapped the bulbs. The right lamp will glow with either bulb, so I don't have bulb trouble, but now what? The left bulb will not glow when the test button is engaged, either.
The wiring in this Car seems very nice, at least for a 1970 Car. There has been no butchery, no aftermarket stereo nor alarm grafted in, etc.
Suggestions as to how I should proceed are welcomed. Is either of the lamp circuits fused? I could not find a failed fuse in the fuse panel.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, 21 December, 2012 - 05:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update #2: I think I might have found where to look: the relay for the brake pressure switches, under the bonnet. Possibly either the relay has a problem or there is a wire off a terminal.
More later after I have checked this out.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, 12 February, 2013 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further update: I got the lamp test function to work, by jogging the test switch a few times; the relay may have been stuck or have dirty points. anyway, I have one lamp which won't illuminate and one which won't go out. Hummmmn...