Sticky rams. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Sticky rams. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.77
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 02:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can get a cream from the doctor this.

This is a well known subject.

IMO

When driving because the car is jiggling about this drumsticks the rams and the driver doesn't notice or feel anything.

When stationary and nobody is in the car and moving the rear suspension then the rams will tend to stick. Then the driver gets in wobbles the suspension and unnoticed the ram unsticks.

If the rear hub is on an axle stand to bleed brakes then weirdly the car will suddenly pop up a bit. This is caused by opening the door to operate the brake pedal or wobbling the car to undo a tight item.
This causes one to think that somehow the brakes are connected to the suspension,which they are not.

My car does weird ram stuff when I check stuff. I can make it actually do it.

The ram pushes on the top spring "cup" this because the location of the cup moves about with the spring and because the spring will put slight side ways forces on the ram the ram sticks. Then the spring wobbles and the ram unsticks.
This isn't a design fault merely a feature of the design madam. Said the service engineer to the actress.

(Message approved by david_gore)