"Routine" Service Checks and Interval... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » "Routine" Service Checks and Intervals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, 22 May, 2013 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The longer I own my cars the more of these "not well known" service checks are becoming known to me, usually one odd item at a time and often in thread drift.

It seems to me that these things deserve a thread of their own, and that the cohort is the best possible source of creating a comprehensive list.

What follows are a couple of things that have popped up recently. Gordon Le Feuvre offered the flame trap/crankcase breather information and Paul Yorke the exhaust manifold info. I can't remember where or when I learned about the trunnion joint oil, but I did.

In any case, here's the start of the list that I feel certain will be added to extensively over time.

SY Service Checks and Intervals

Every Year:
1. Manifold bolts. The left hand ones are always attempting to escape and frequently do!

2. Trunnion joint oil levels. I just refill them every year. A hair dye bottle is about the perfect tool for getting the necessary EP gear oil into those tiny ports in the confined space you have to work with.

Once every few years:
1. Crankcase Breather that runs from the side of engine oil filler to intake. This has a multi (6 or7) gauze disc flame trap that over the years just gets blocked with crank oil/sludge. It is a bit of a wiggle to unbolt (and I think was only listed to be cleaned on 24,000/"C" service, so was not attended to very often), but it is very important to be clean to allow crankcase pressure to dissipate into the carb intake and not out through gaskets/throwers, etc.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, 23 May, 2013 - 01:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've attached a spreadsheet that I use.

Note that the Target Interval column is my target (based on low mileage, etc., etc.), not necessarily Rolls-Royce's target.

The spreadsheet is set up so that if you enter values into the Last Service and Mileage columns it will auto-calculate the Current Interval column.

I'd be interested in any feedback anyone has on the intervals, etc.

Cheers,
Jeff.

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheetservice history
Service History.xlsx (15.3 k)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Thursday, 23 May, 2013 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some years ago, I prepared a Shadow service schedule for circulation at a Club technical session which is attached below.

This schedule lists all the service items I could think of and also includes a difficulty rating to help DIY owners decide whether they should attempt the item or leave it to a professional.

application/pdfSchedule
z Shadow Service Checklist.pdf (269.8 k)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Friday, 24 May, 2013 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had a glimpse through - pretty comprehensive. These spring to mind to : If these are in there and I missed them - sorry for repeating.

Check floorpans, under rear seat, boot floor.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.586374084735776.1073741825.480142005358985&type=1&l=bf0e017b26

Grease rear check straps and the handbrake cables where they touch the body. ( both make strange and worrying noises if dry )

Remove and refit brake pads every 2 or 3 years on extremely low mileage cars.

Lubricate air con actuator linkages and servos.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, 24 May, 2013 - 22:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That floorpan looks familiar. ;)

Jeff.