Radios and 8 Tracks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Radios and 8 Tracks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Gardner
New User
Username: bobg

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 17 February, 2013 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am endeavoring to put an older Radio and 8 Track player into the empty holes in my dash and center console.

The items I have are these:
Panasonic AM/FM Radio Model #CR-700EU
Pioneer 8 Track Player Model QP-444

Only info I have is that the Tape Player was used sometime after my LRA13020,

Does anyone have any knowledge of these two units,and/or will they adapt to my car?

None of the wires colors seem to match anything in the car.

I have removed the center console side pads and can plainly see all the wires and connectors, but totally lost as to WHAT they connect to as the colors don't match up.

Any help greatly appreciated.Bob G.

gordon le feuvre
New User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2013 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

radio corniche

The system was designed so that with a change over relay,(located behind console side panel) when a 8 track was pushed into slot, the feed to the radio/aerial would be cut off and the feed OUT of radio to the speakers would be changed over to the 8 track. I have unmolested '73 Corniche and whem i get it out of winter storage in aweek or so , i will take some notes/pics

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon, this is the same original installation as DRH14434 however a previous owner had removed the 8-track player and replaced it with a Pioneer radio/cassette unit and whoever installed the unit had mutilated the wiring so the standard radio which remained in the dash did not work.

I tried to reconnect the radio but gave up as I could not figure out the wiring of the changeover relay system and a connection to the Pioneer unit to activate the changeover.

Robert Gardner
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, That is my situation exactly, to which I've gotten no effective answers from any forum I've posted on, How to match up the wiring when the wiring colors don't match.

Recently obtained a service manual for the 8-track I have, tells me everything one would need to fix it, but nothing at all concerning the wiring harness. Awating the arrival of a manual for the radio, Hopefully there will be some information there and I can get at least one of these units working.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, some possible help for you from the Technical Library:

Silver Shadow 1 Wiring Diagram Colour Codes

application/pdfWiring
SS1 Wiring Colour Codes.pdf (39.2 k)

Silver Shadow 1 Radio/Tape Player Changeover Unit Wiring Diagram

application/pdfChangeover
SS1 Radio and Tape Player changeover Wiring.pdf (77.8 k)

The changeover unit wiring diagram is easily read at 400% zoom in Acrobat.

You can download the full high-resolution workshop manual free using the following link if you haven't already done so:

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/tsd2476hires.htm

Hope this helps - unfortunately I didn't have this information when delving around DRH14434 and the car is no longer in the family.

Robert Gardner
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 24 February, 2013 - 10:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, this was very informative.
I just received an old radio manual in the mail which also has wire color codes for the radio so I should be able now to match everything up ok.

Only thing lacking is to purchase an inline fuse/holder and I should be good to go.

Thank you so much.
Bob