Reverse Lights Staying on Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Reverse Lights Staying on « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Constantine
Experienced User
Username: theo

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 22 January, 2014 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all

Can any one tell me why do the reverse lights on a 1979 Corniche Convertible come on intermittently while driving. If it's the reverse light switch on the transmission, which one is it?

Much appreciated for all your help

Theo

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, 22 January, 2014 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

George,

If you look at the spare parts manual, section D03, start with PDF page 7, and item number 25 in the exploded view. The reverse lights appear to be operated by a combination of this assembly and a microswitch.

The part number, UR 13655, is the same for your car, but when you get to the pages that follow that apply to your car (starting at PDF page 9) that's when Crewe abandoned putting the parts name key on the page with the parts. PDF page 10 shows the mechanism in question and it appears that the arm UR13655 pushes on UR14788 that in turn pushes on the actual switch "button" on the microswitch [labeled "See Electrical Section" (how very helpful) in this diagram].

I'd check that the microswitch hasn't "gone wonky" or that the assembly that normally trips it hasn't become loose in some way.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, 22 January, 2014 - 10:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

George,

A P.S. since I hadn't caught your post count until just now: The Workshop and Spare Parts Manuals along with a treasure trove of other documents related to your car can be found in the SY section of the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library.

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Thursday, 23 January, 2014 - 11:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

is it flickering on or coming on and staying on?. does it go out by itself ot when you change gear?

George Constantine
Experienced User
Username: theo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 16 March, 2014 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for your input. (Hi Paul)
The reverse lights come on intermittently and stay on for a while then go off while driving.

I have today experience another fault and don't know if this is connected to the reverse light problem i.e. after switching the engine off after a short trip, then start up to drive off, non of the gears engage, but after moving the gear lever around to every gear and back a few times, all is fine until I stop and start off again.

I'd appreciate all your help

George

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, 16 March, 2014 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi George,

it sounds as though water may have got into the gear change actuator.

Probably drop and open it up and see if there's sign of water damage.