Trinidad Shadow SRH1774 Wipers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Trinidad Shadow SRH1774 Wipers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guy Boldon
Experienced User
Username: guy_boldon

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 24 October, 2010 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking to repair wipers. Only the Fast speed works. No slow, intermittent or parking. Washers work OK. HELP anyone????

Jeff Young
New User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 24 October, 2010 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guy

The motor has two different windings for slow and fast speed.

There's a 5 pin connector at the motor. White with Green trace is the common, while fast is Yellow with Green trace and slow is Red with Green trace. Disconnect the plug and put the wipers on fast and you should get 12V between the common and fast. Put them on slow and see if you get 12V between the common and slow. That'll tell you if it's the motor or the control circuits.

Is your wiper motor the 6W or the 16W? If you have the 16W version, it could also be interaction between the two park switches (on-screen and off-screen). There are two routines for setting them detailed in the workshop manual. (But I'd think that would keep the fast speed from working as well, so it's probably not that.)

Jeff.

(Message edited by david_gore on 26 October 2010)

(Message edited by david_gore on 26 October 2010)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Sunday, 24 October, 2010 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, this car is SRH17774 not 1774. It has the three-brush wiper motor with built-in off-screen and on-screen park switches. It does not have two windings. It is possible that one brush is very dirty or badly installed. The park-on-screen switch is inside the motor and is adjustable, as is the off-screen switch. There is no external park switch, which by contrast is located on the bulkhead of SZ cars.

See http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/16.pdf page 20 of the pdf. The diagramme tells all. If you have problems troubleshooting, just let us know. A good start is to bridge out the switches in turn.

RT.

Guy Boldon
Experienced User
Username: guy_boldon

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 11 November, 2010 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, There has been No progress with the wipers. Many thanks for the schematic. It is a 16W motor.
I am getting 12v across the fast terminals at the motor end. There is no voltage anywhere else. At the switch on the dash I tried rotating the switch but there is no reaction anywhere at the wipers. I also tried to short across several of the contacts to see if there is any reaction at the wipers. Nothing. All the wires at the dash seem in tact. All the connections seem ok. Can you suggest a procedure?? Since so many of the circuits are inoperative I suspect a common ground wire is open somewhere?
Thanks, Guy

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2011 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am having a similar problem - the wipers only work on one speed - fast.

I rebuilt the motor last year and they worked for a while and then stopped. It is the 16W on SRH20280. Both switches at the motor are new.

I've just this morning replaced the intermittent control unit and will do the 2 speed control tomorrow. I have a spare dash switch if necessary.

My question is regarding brushes.

a) I'm assuming the brushes are the little spring loaded things in the photo below.

b) I didn't replace the brushes last year.

c) The unit on the left is from a 6W motor; the flimsier one on the right is from the RR 16W motor.

Can I use the one from the 6W motor??

It really is a better made unit - copper clamps and spring housing, thicker wires etc.

The brushes are different sizes though. On each unit one of the brushes is 'notched' - would this be to slow the speed?

How do you tell if brushes are worn (they still make good contact) and how does one go about replacing them if need be?

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 26 January 2011)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2011 - 14:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further to this: I replaced the main control unit and the switch and it gave me 2 speed wiping and normal stop and park (with that neat final wipe trick)

The new (used) intermittent control unit gave me just slow speed but not intermittent. I blew the fuses twice playing around and then it gave me nothing.

This rather narrows it down I think to getting a brand new intermittent control unit.

Here's what one looks like inside - a relay coil: some condensers and resistors and some things I know not what.

Unfortunately Dick Smith doesn't sell components like these anymore and Jaycar sell only what they have in stock & won't order other lines.

I wonder does anybody in the UK collect these and rebuild them? I now have 2 'dead' ones that it seems a shame to discard.

I will leave off changing the brush unit until it needs doing but I still wouldn't mind knowing if these units are interchangeable - it'd be a lot easier than soldering connections when I do have to change the brushes.

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 26 January 2011)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2011 - 14:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey,

You are aware that the three brushes serve the two speeds. One brush is common, one for high speed and the other for low speed of course.

Before all else, do check that there are volts at the wiper when it is switched on: across common-low and common-high for the respective speed selections. Only once that is proven does it make sense to look further.

As to swapping the brush frame, you can only try. However, best if the brushes are not worn is to refit the originals correctly.

RT.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2011 - 14:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard - our posts seem to have crossed.

I forgot to mention that I tested everything when I rebuilt the motor last year and again before getting into the dashboard end this week.

I'll check it again at the switch contacts but it would seem to be okay from the current behaviour.

Both control units were the originals and I expect that 35 years is rather about 'use by date' for these units; it would only take one of the 8 components to fail for it to go out I imagine.

I'll put in a new unit if I can find one (probably UK) and see what happens.

And thanks, by the way - and also for the indicator bistable relay solution; that really has made a difference to driving at night for me :-)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2011 - 15:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

A few of us in the club can repair these things easily and gladly. If you would like a freebie, you may say so and receive a few private messages ! Especially as you have a spare faulty one it would be worth a punt I suggest.

RT.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2011 - 16:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard I have 2 Faulty ones - anyone wishing to help out is welcome to both of them.

I might even toss in a few beers or a bottle of wine as well. :-) !!!

My email address is jefmac2003@yahoo.co.uk

Jeff Young
Experienced User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2011 - 20:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I'm dead-handy with a soldering iron, but my background is digital rather than analog so my understanding of these things is somewhat weak.

Still, Richard managed to guide me through repairing my coolant level and ice warning amplifiers (thanks again, Richard), so if I can get a couple of pointers from him then I could probably patch these up too.

I'm in Ireland, so somewhat local. (You can also reach me at jey@adobe.com.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, 28 March, 2013 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey

You mentioned earlier that both switches on your wiper motor are new. Can these be bought separately? The park on screen switch on my wiper motor is faulty - it meters closed in all positions.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, 28 March, 2013 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's one currently available here on ebay USA Geoff: Vintage Imports inc. Cost US$$23.99 but bear in mind US postage has just doubled in price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jag-Lotus-Rolls-Royce-Triumph-Wiper-Motor-Park-Switch-/281060530770?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4170835a52&vxp=mtr

They also used to be available from ReplacementParts although they are currently not advertising them - contact them anyway as they regularly used to have them. You should have a shortcut to these guys anyway as they stock many spares for our cars.

http://www.replacementpartsinc.com/servlet/StoreFront

Good Luck.

Jeff

p.s. there is also Steve Hunt in the UK (via ebay):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-LOTUS-MORGAN-HEALEY-AUSTIN-ORIGINAL-LUCAS-14W-WIPER-MOTOR-PARK-SWITCH-30DD-/321097223532?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac2e2cd6c

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, 28 March, 2013 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks