Rear Inertia Reel Seatbelts Under Par... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear Inertia Reel Seatbelts Under Parcel Shelf « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2010 - 15:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The man who is making me a new set of seatbelts - including a set of inertia reels to go under the rear parcel shelf has asked me what angle do I want: 45 degrees; 60, 70, 90, or 99.

I am assuming that the plate is fixed behind the back seat with bolts through to the boot.

Obviously I'd like to avoid fouling the rear shock absorbers etc. - especially important I think to leave room for working if they have to be removed.

Has anyone done this and knows which angle is best?

In fact any information would help.

I'm having them all done in green webbing to match the interior, with Stainless steel buckles in the rear and a set of chrome stalks in the front.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 621
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2010 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Obviously I'd like to avoid fouling the rear shock absorbers etc. - especially important I think to leave room for working if they have to be removed.

On a Shadow they are designed to go on top of the parcel shelf. You'd then need to make up a cover to hide the reel if you wish.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2010 - 18:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes I've seen that done Paul - some jobs looking somewhat better than others; all though tend to look a bit 'aftermarket'.

I have seen photos of Shadows with the undershelf ones but can't recall if they were Australian or not. Naturally I'm only going to do this if it meets Australian standards but will investigate further.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 622
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2010 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The height control ram is just about where you'd need the reel to sit. Inertia lap belts are a tidier option. Not as safe as 3 point, but safer than none.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2010 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please excuse my ignorance but were any of the SY series fitted with seat belts in the rear?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 623
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2010 - 22:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill - excused.

Yes - two mounting holes for three point under the rear parcel shelf (above the rams). Usually just a two point lap belt for the centre seat position.

(Message edited by paul_yorke on 10 July 2010)

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, 11 July, 2010 - 01:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,
I have fitted a set of Jaguar XJ6/12 rear seat belts (from an 80s car) and they bolt straight on. They are also finished off nicely. If you want some photos I will send you these.
All the best.
Omar

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, 11 July, 2010 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou Omar the photos would be very useful.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, 12 July, 2010 - 03:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jeff,
I have also thrown in a photo of the Daimler Doublesix for good measure. You will notice that it gets very dusty in the desert..............

Dave Puttock
New User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 12 July, 2010 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two points
First the threaded holes for mounting the seatbelt are not just fixing it to the parcel shelf. There is a very substantial gusset underneath, so if you start installing some place else you need to at least replicate its strength and ability to spread the load.
Secondly, I have not quite understood what you term "under the parcel shelf" Are you talking about putting the inertia reels on top of the steel parcel shelf and then raising the trimmed wooden shelf above them. Or are you really going to cut holes in the steelwork to pass the belts through. If the latter is the case then you would have to site the reels with the belt discharge to the rear of the reel, because of my first point. That means the belt will have to run over some guides to turn it through 90 in order to come horizontal over the back of the seat. That sounds like a lot of drag and wear potential unless well engineered.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, 12 July, 2010 - 22:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good points Dave - I've done further research around the Australian Design Regulations and the various principles behind them.

Various classic car clubs have been down this road before - especially for cars before and around the crictical year of 1973 in Australia.

Trying to balance an original look with modern safety understanding is just sometimes impossible: that gussett under there would actually rule out an under the (metal) parcel shelf reel in any case, as you say, without major cutting and welding; itself not guaranteed to make the thing safe even with compliance washer plates.

I'm not too fussed about maintaining originality in this case, I just want to avoid some of the quite ordinary looking installs I've seen photos of - they really do look tacked on

I've decided to go with the 'on shelf' units like the ones above, at least they have covers on them not an exposed reel.

The real (what a dreadful pun) selling point though is it's pretty much 'plug and play' for the installer from the static belts in situ. Which I guess flows from the fact that they were designed that way in the first place to accommodate as many markets (and belt types)as possible.

I'll get hold of some spare vinyl in the shelf colour and get the covers vacuum formed with it to match.

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 12 July 2010)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, 13 July, 2010 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Talking to my man who is going to make up the belts (I'm removing the old ones and sending them to him) he suggested that because of the 'unique' front mounts on the Shadow he will just have to work with the current inertia reels.

I'm hoping they can be successfully reconditioned.

If not, has anyone ever sucessfully had new ones installed? Surely it must be possible to use the 2 bolts already under the car to attach a compliance mount and then a new reel?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, 13 July, 2010 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffery, the two bolts in the sill just hold a bracket which in turn holds a fairly standard reel.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, 13 July, 2010 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a relief. The man and I have only talked on the phone and he had vague memories of doing a Shadow from years ago. I'll replace both reels; they're 36 years old!

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 - 11:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff/ You undoubtedly know this but people who fix design or repair seatbelts have to be licensed. As far as I know there is only one in Australia 'Seat Belt Solutions 08 9258 3666 or infor@seatbeltsolutions.com.au. The contact is Simon Godfrey. They can repair/rejuvenate your reels and replace clips stalks and belts.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Strangely enough Bill that is the very man I've been talking to. He's been extremely helpful explaining the arcana of load spreading and compliance et cetera. He also told me where to look to find a period set of chrome front seat belt stalks which can be refurbished and are compliant.

I, for once, have a reasonable choice of RTA licenced people in Albury-Wodonga to do the installation. My plan before ordering the belts is to take the car to one of them and show them the brackets for the front inertia reels and see what he suggests.

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 14 July 2010)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 - 15:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff how old is your Shadow and when did seat belt requirements come in? The rule of yore was if they were not originally fitted before that date you are not required to fit them.

Notwithstanding, most people fit them but if you are able to do it voluntarily and not be subject to the whims of an irascible RTA inspector, life may be easier.

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 - 17:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe that is the case Bill but it would need to be checked out. I made inquiries about fitting some sort of restraints in the PII (the wheel is rather a sharp object in said vehicle) and found that if I were to do so, I would need to comply with RTA regulations etc and that the belts would be subject to inspection for a pink slip if I were to apply for full registration. Now I am not sure this is quite how it stands as no-one in the RTA could answer my questions in an precise and clear manner - but it does bear investigation.
Regards,
Brian Crump

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, Jeffrey,

Rear seat belts were mandatory on all Australian passenger cars by 1971. Note that Crewe did not fit any seat belts in the factory for Australian-delivered cars until much later in SY production. That is beacuse the Australian standards could not be met by suitable seat belts available in the UK at the time. From 1971, the local distributors were left to fit seat belts front and rear to Australian design rules using the factory anchor points. For example, Yorks fitted the seat belts front (2 x inertia reel) and rear (3) to our September 1972 T-Series pre-delivery to qualify it for the Australian Compliance Plate. However, all SY cars built well before 1971 (I forget, but maybe all SYs for that matter) are provided with seat belt anchor points all round.

RT.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill - it's a 1974 Shadow. I've been perusing some of the Holden and Ford sites on this question and they're full of advice (not to mention interesting opinions!) on dealing with RTA ferals.

Paul - Inertia lap belts can't be installed in ordinary passenger cars down here; although it's legal to keep them if they're original.

Richard - I have exactly that arrangement in SRH20280; the front inertia reels are tired (36 years of Wilton fluff and god knows what else).

The 2 static lap/sash belts in the rear seat are a pain - nobody sitting down knows how to adjust them anymore which means I have to get out and do it for them!

The middle lap belt has probably never been used. I'll replace that with a static lap/sash just to get it all out of the road in one go.

My choice now actually is - do I have flashy stainless buckles in the back - with webbing; or do I have black buckles and those short stalks that save fumbling around for the right connection - I reckon the stalks look tidier and are more functional.