Electrical Guru Needed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Electrical Guru Needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

DMScott
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 67.77.194.31
Posted on Sunday, 02 July, 2006 - 10:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, all & HELP! My 1976 Shadow (SRE25780) is finally back from a too long stay at the paint & body shop. They used soda blasting to strip the car to bare metal & in the process managed to somehow get it EVERYWHERE inside the car. The fuse panel became CAKED with this nasty stuff & it seems to be everywhere. I removed all fuses, brushed & vacuumed the panel then used circuit cleaner to remove what wouldn't come off.

I now have some strange issues. First, the fuel gauge is no longer working. The oil light has come on (changed the oil - all is well there). After a few minutes of smooth idling, car sputters & dies... when this happens the wipers turn on (???!!!). The car will not shift out of low gear (working a theory that the parking brake may be partially stuck, but I thought I'd throw it in). Also, the a/c will no longer come on (it did this once before, however & mysteriously healed itself).

Can these things all be in some way connected? My trusted mechanic is coming over to look at the car soon & I'd like to provide some ideas for him. ANY help would be most appreciated!

All the best - "failing to proceed in Texas"
Devon

(Message approved by david_gore)

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, 03 July, 2006 - 11:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The sanding powder has penetrated all major electrical areas, and is shorting circuits..
It may take months to clean this putrid sludge from all of the effected areas.

Feel free to contact me asemastermechanic@juno.com
FYI: You have several RROC members near you.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, 03 July, 2006 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Devon,

Before we can possibly help you, we need to know exactly what the "soda" was - I suspect it may have been Sodium Carbonate [Washing Soda], Sodium Hydroxide [Caustic Soda], Sodium Chloride [Common salt] or another Sodium salt or even a mixture. In most cases, Sodium salts are hygoscopic in nature and absorb moisture from their surroundings thus causing it to cake onto the surface it is attached to - depending on the material, this will result in mild to extremely aggressive corrosion in most cases [of course some materials will be resistant to this corrosion]. The moist salt compounds will be electrically conductive and this is the most probable explanation for your electrical problems.

My advice at this stage is do not attempt to touch anything and advise the shop who did the work that their procedures have caused problems and that they will be expected to repair the damage under warranty under the supervision of an appropriate R-R/B professional.

INAPPROPRIATE TECHNIQUES TO REMOVE THE DEPOSITS MAY CAUSE EVEN WORSE PROBLEMS THAN THOSE EXISTING RIGHT NOW.

I fear the shop responsible [or their insurers if they have indemnity/liability insurance] may try to avoid responsibility for rectifying the problems due to the cost and extent of work required so I trust you have access to an appropriate lawyer if needed.

whunter
Prolific User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I fear that David is 100% correct on the litigation issue..

My best guess as to current cost of repair, without a hands on survey of your car:
$1,000.00 - $3,000.00 USD.
The damage may be minor at this point, however it can become major in tenths of a second, if the wrong circuits short across, (cause a wiring fire or cooking modules).

I am finishing a major wiring fire restoration on a 1972 Silver Shadow now.
The only reason this vehicle will survive is my love for the marque, if the owner paid labor, the cost would be several times current market value.

Best advice:
#1. Do not drive the car.
#2. Remove the battery for safety.
#3. Document (Pictures are best) every detail RE: vehicle condition/service, before and after.
#4. Seek legal counsel.
#5. Follow the advice of legal counsel in every detail.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot.

check the oils and fluids in the car for contamination.

bob ulk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the grit blasting medium has got into the fuse board then It is a fair assumption that it has got into various relays and modules and servo motors etc.

before you go the legal route go back to the business that did the work, be polite to them if they do not repair the damage then seek legal advice. You must give them every opportunity to address the problem. In the UK the courts will expect (must) the complainant to have seeked a amicable solution before issuing legal proccedings

Recently my car was damaged by a garage. My insurance company asked me to take to their approved repairer whos first question was how does the rad shell come off. So I took the car to a R-R dealer instead. So be careful if they say they will get the car fixed for you make sure who ever does the work knows what they are doing.

whunter
Prolific User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 12:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry bob ulk, the law is very different here in the USA.
I have been on both sides of this situation.

Consult a lawyer first, then follow his advice.

Most lawyers will have you document, document document, everything in writing, pictures, and with witnesses.

Failure to document or communicate in the correct way can wreck any possible case.

There is a good chance your lawyer will suggest you approach the paint shop for repair of this issue, after you have documented it correctly, and been coached on how to communicate with the shop.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bow to your supperior knowledge Whunter