1970 Shadow Choke Stove Pipe Replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » 1970 Shadow Choke Stove Pipe Replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Experienced User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, 05 March, 2012 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, in replacing Her (SRH9391) B-Bank exhaust manifold gaskets, I find it necessary to replace the choke stove pipe. I have both ends undone; however there seems to be a hangup underneath the inlet elbow and crankcase vent pipe. Is there a clamp holding the stove pipe in place underneath it all, or is it just tight down under? Is it necessary to remove the carb-horn assembly to replace the stove pipe?

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, 07 March, 2012 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Problem solved, thanks to Bill Coburn and his excellent article in Tee-One, Issue 29, Page 418.
He oughtta turn all that into a book, it would be great for the Home Rolls-Royce Mechanic. he can even name it that!

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Wednesday, 07 March, 2012 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy/ Thanks for the accolades. I shall have to buy a new hat! Co-incidentally I drove a friend's Shadow recently that had the power of a Morris Minor. Turned out it had the dirtiest plugs I have ever seen and I believe the car was running on four cylinders and possibly five on a good day!

The answer was in the 'hot' stove pipe where it is attached to the heat exchanger in the exhaust manifold. From what I could see the pipe was held in place by the heat insulation and the choke system simply sucked cool air in through the gap. The choke itself must have been partially shut the whole time!!

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, 10 March, 2012 - 03:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I won't leave well enough alone, I suppose. I am intrigued by the original arrangement. The steel tube is 1/4 inch diameter, with 1/8 inch ID, high-pressure stuff. The conical tube end is also interesting.Is this some sort of hydraulic tube system whcih was adapted for this purpose?

Bill hafele
New User
Username: billy_uk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 11 March, 2012 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy
I cannot understand why this pipe is high-pressure. It only carries a moderate vaccuum and is not pressurised.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Sunday, 11 March, 2012 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The pipe gets extremely hot in service and its strength at these temperatures is drastically reduced. It is also prone to oxidation [dry rusting] at these temperatures so a heavy wall section means a longer service life.

The first place for the pipe to fail is usually just above the connection to the manifold as this is where the highest operating temperature occurs.

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, 11 March, 2012 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My pipe was failed about 1 1/2 inches above the stove-end fitting; in fact it had been repaired once already by brazing a short length of pipe in just above the lower fitting.
I will replace it with stainless, probably. I found that a bubble flare for brake line will seal at the fitting very nicely, at least well enough. I found an insulated sleeve with a black silicone jacket at Jegs which will serve very nicely as replacement for the original woven, presumably asbestos, material.

Geoff
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.104.65.17
Posted on Tuesday, 02 October, 2012 - 02:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy - Have you still got the link to the black silicone jacket at Jegs. I am having trouble finding it.

Regards - Geoff

(Message approved by david_gore)

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2012 - 22:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Geoff, try this link: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Thermal-Heat-Sleeving/1130487/10002/-1

It is the thermal heat sleeving.
Regards,
Randy

Randy Roberson
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2012 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way: the fittings on the original stove pipe remind me of the old British Diesel injection steel lines, including the cone formed on the ends of the pipe.