Power Steering Noise Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Power Steering Noise « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

PETER DIXON
Frequent User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2012 - 15:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whilst undertaking a test drive to ensure the new viscous coupling and refurbished radiator were functioning properly, I was to say the least surprised when suddenly SRH40250 was the creator of a huge white cloud of smoke. I immediately checked under the bonnet and found that I had hydraulic fluid all over the driver's side of the engine. My assumption was that I had done something stupid with the pipes to the radiator, but the steering wheel told me differently. Circumstances were such that I had no option but to very carefully creep the car home which was about four - five minutes away. Further inspection revealed that it was one of the power steering hoses that had separated from its steel counterpart. I reconnected the hose and checked all the other joints and refilled the pump. To do so I raised the vehicle so the front wheels were off the ground and slowly poured in and topped up the fluid whilst gently turning the steering from left to right. Eventually it took the required amount of fluid. Once lowered and the engine started, the steering felt fine. It is however making an only just discernible humming noise when steering pressure is applied either way. Is this likely to be caused by air in the system or something more sinister?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Peter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, 22 July, 2012 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Peter,
It could be just trapped air as you say. The bubbles take ages to fully drop out. I normally take the steering from one lock to the other several times in order to get all the bubbles out. if after that you still have a small noise then that could be the consequence of running the pump dry. The pumps are agricultural in nature and should not cause problems.
Good luck
Omar