Shadow 1 screen wash bottle modification Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow 1 screen wash bottle modification « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you having been following my blog ( or drivel) awaking my car from slumber then the last bit was about the washer bottle.
The job is finished and I thought it was going to be differcult-- its easy.

A 2.5 litre Bluecol antifrezze bottle fits behind the left hand front wing.

The filler pipe 16mm garden hose. Goes into the side of the bottle near the top. There is a hole in the inner wing for the heater drain pipe. This hole is oval and enough room for drain pipe and filler pipe and screen wash tube. The screen was tube goes into the side of the bottle along with another screen wash tube which is the overflow. The over flow goes down and pokes out of the sill underneath. The pick up tube is weighted so it rests on the bottom of the bottle.

The filler pipe goes to a bracket on which the screen washer pump is fitted. The filler pipe connects to a brass fitting. In which the water is poured using a small funnel.

The bracket is fitted very close to the oval hole just above the heater water tap. To keep the pipe work short. Between the wing and hydraulic reservoir. 1/4 gap between bracket and wiper motor.

The folds were done using a vice and hammer.

The bracket is held on with two very accessible self tapers. The filler pipe connects to the brass fitting is screw fitting. Finger tight.

The bracket is 16swg aluminium. The sides are folded to add strength.

The reservoir sight glasses are still in plain view.

The under bonnet view looks nice. The inner plastic mudguard covers the bottle. The plastic hose pipe is hidden by the bracket.

One thing to be watched is the bracket. I suspect it may vibrate and crack. If it does I will remake in 16 swg steel.
The filler pipe adds support.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 975
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob

I would enjoy reading your blog and entries so much more if you provided photos. This would also help you in not having to be so descriptive in your writing. This is really not meant as a criticism. I enjoy reading your entries. I just wish you could enhance them with pics.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 571
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff you and me both. A photo would explain a thousand words as they say.

I get descriptive because of no photos and I get tangled up in wordyness of it.

Bullet points work well.

I am trying to sort this out.

I am a duffer when it comes to manipulating the internet.

I am waiting for my son to work out what he called tethering.

My problem is that laptop with the photo program on won't talk to this wireless connection.

I did think of putting the stuff on a memory stick and sending it to Dave Gore by post. But that maybe a bit of a liberty.

Of special interest will be when I touch up the paint work and detail the interior.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Send 'em down under Bob and I will be happy to post them on the Forum on your behalf - just make sure you include a text description for each photo so I can suitably describe the image when I post them.

Have emailed my postal address to you - I will be away from home base for most of this month however I have arranged for any mail to be forwarded to me.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This will take a while to load the stuff so bear with me. I will inform when ready.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of. Posting photos all the way from the UK to Australia so that they can be uploaded onto the Internet!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"This is probably the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of. Posting photos all the way from the UK to Australia so that they can be uploaded onto the Internet!"

No - it is a way of helping a friend out. It is an Australian trait that I am trying to keep alive in an age where self interest takes precedence over community benefit.