Hub Cap/Wheel Trim 'stand off' Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Hub Cap/Wheel Trim 'stand off' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Lacey
Experienced User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 15 September, 2014 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All,
SRH4452 has the early non-vented hubcaps. On three wheels the hubcap fits flush with the outer lip of the steel wheel. On the 4th wheel and the spare wheel the hubcap fits with a 10-15mm gap between the edge of the wheel trim and the lip of the steel wheel. The wheels all *look* the same, but I havent measured them. I am sure its a difference in the steel wheel itself. Could I have 2 which are half inch narrower? If so, what car are they from & what hubcap might fit??

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, 15 September, 2014 - 11:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

If it were me, the first thing I'd do is measure the wheels. Then the hubcaps. There is also the third possibility that the all five wheels and all five hubcaps are the same but two hubcaps are not seated completely.

I'd start swapping things around and notice if the gap follows the hubcaps or the wheels.

Chris.

gordon le feuvre
Experienced User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 03:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, there are differences as later (still early) cars were fitted with positive location rims which means that the centre of the rim was machined to exactly fit the machined hub. The nuts held the wheel on but were not responsible for the centralization. this was done to combat bounce caused by the rim not being centred when rim turned. I recently worked on car that had pre positive location rim fitted, it went on, but REALLY tight to get off. I seem to remember that the hub caps on very early cars fitted very close, maybe you have later (pos. location) discs or rims. At some time around this, rims had a hole drilled and the wheel trim had a spike welded on that fitted into hole to stop trim rotating on rim when driven and tearing out valve. It is worth looking at rims to see if they have a 5/16-3/8 in hole adjacent to where trim is held on. maybe a part number search will reveal more that I cannot remember

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH17668 1974
Slotted trims with spike to stop rotation.

(Message approved by david_gore)

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH19529 1974
Slotted trims with spike also

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

If one of you guys will tell me what I am looking for, I will post results for the '72 (SRH13161), the '71 (SRX10792) and the '66 (SRX1182) cadaver car.

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,
Can you compare by measurement the difference if any between the 1966 car and the 1973 car. I suspect that the wheels on the car with misfitting wheel trims has wheels from not a shadow.

Because I have seen shadows fitted with non matched trims with no problems.

One steel wheel looks like any other steel wheel and 15" are very common on vans and cars.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't overlook the fact the rims may have changed when RRMC switched from cross ply to radial tyres after the Shadow was released.

David Lacey
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 19:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All,

With the help of my local tyre shop we confirm the rims are all the same. I have a total of 5 hubcaps (spare has been kerbed at some point). 2 of these caps are different to the other 3! They look identical from the outside and are constructed the same, all are non-slotted/vented, none have a spike, but on the spare hubcap it looks like one may have been cut off.
The two which stand proud have the "çlip ring" thats welded on the back of the pressing seemingly 10+ mm higher.
So, now I'm guessing that these 2 caps are off a later car with a 1/2" wider wheel?.. but was there a change in wheel width before the slots/vents were introduced? Maybe it was the cross-ply to radial switchover that David mentioned?

gordon le feuvre
Experienced User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know that radials were an option in early days, I cannot remember the rims being different. Cars came with cross ply as o.e. and then had radials fitted at some time later when tyres needed replacement. We did not change rims.

David Lacey
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 16 September, 2014 - 23:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It looks like there were different wheels.
http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/2.pdf
Page A6&A7 says there two types of 6Jk 15 wheels, one with 'flat ledge'
It says that cars before no ~67xx should use inner tubes with radial tyres
It appears cars before 13xxx had either radials or cross plys...
So reading between the lines I guess they changed the wheels at 67xx and my car should only run radials with tubes (i imagines the early wheels lack the bead seating needed for tubeless).
In fact I'm running tubeless, no issues so far but maybe theres a risk of deflation in spirited cornering..

as for the different hubcaps, still no idea

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Wednesday, 17 September, 2014 - 05:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's wheelly interesting because in the mid 60s there was a rim change in other makes as well when Radials started being used. I assumed that RR already used J type rims.

David Lacey
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, 26 September, 2014 - 18:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

according to
http://rrtechnical.info/ChassisNumbers/7RRBChassisNumbersBooklet.pdf

The flat ledge rims came in on chassis 6771 & cars before that should only run radials with inner tubes (or change the rims).

The spigotted roadwheels were 9113

Vented front wheel discs at 10500

but I couldn't find anything on wider rims or other hubcap differences.... still dont understand where these big standoff hubcaps come from...